Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris question -- different types

Posted by tx_ag_95 7/8 Lewisville (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 20:55

Hi all. I have three different types of pass-along irises in my yard. One's a large plant with large multiple blooms in a deep violet/purple, from a Kansas homestead, and it's planted in FULL sun both with and without much supplemental water. One's a smaller plant with I think smaller blooms in a lighter purple, from an old Tennessee house, that's planted in part sun with some supplemental water. The third's a large plant that I got at a plant swap last year and stuck in a pot in full afternoon sun and some supplemental water, I think it's yellow but it hasn't bloomed yet. The Tennessee iris I picked small, new offshoots that I knew wouldn't be missed and hoped would survive the trip back to Dallas locked in a cooler -- I was on a mission trip with my church teenagers and the WWII vet we were replacing a roof for was kind enough to allow me to take some. He had them planted all around the foundation of his home and I'd be surprised if he did much anything to them.

Now, I'm wondering if the "Tennessee" iris would be happier in the front yard with full morning sun and some midday sun but afternoon shade. Currently, they get midday sun only. I didn't think to ask him what kind they were, and he may not know himself as it was the house he was born in and his mother may well have planted the originals. Considering their age (probably not even a year old) when I "harvested" them in early July 2010, I'm not surprised that they're just now starting to bloom for me. But I'm completely clueless about iris. Does anyone here have an idea of what "type" of iris they could be? The corms looked identical to the dark purple ones and seemed to be planted partially uncovered, so I assumed they were the same "type", but now I'm not sure. And all I have right now are two small buds. Could the lack of sunlight cause that drastic of a difference in size? Or are these a different type that requires different care? I know northeastern TN gets more rain than north central TX.

And, if you've read this far and are still willing to help, thank you! I appreciate any advice you can give me. And I'll update this in a few days when the first bud opens and I can tell if it looks the same as the dark purple ones or if they're different. I'm pretty sure the dark purple ones are bearded iris. Although, I'm not sure why they're called "bearded".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris question -- different types

Pictures would help. I plant my iris in part sun/part shade but that is also because that is where the dirt is on my limestone hill. Are ypu in clay or sand?

o

They're called bearded iris because they have beards. See the fuzzy orange thing in the middle of the pink petals? That's the beard.
Photobucket

o

Here's the 'Tennessee' iris.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tennessee Iris

o
RE: Iris question -- different types - KS iris

And here's the "Kansas" iris.

If someone has a better way to upload pictures from Photobucket, please tell me...because GW doesn't like you to post two replies back-to-back...evidently.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kansas iris

o
RE: Iris question -- different types - RH

Thanks, RH! I thought that might be the case, but wasn't sure. It makes me think that both of these are bearded iris, but I didn't get home in time tonight to check the "new" one. I've posted the pictures I could take of each flower, hopefully that'll be enough...if not, I'll check the "baby" in the morning and post a reply stating whether or not it has a "beard".

So, do other irises have "false" beards? Because some female turkeys have beards, so you can't rely upon the presence of a beard to tell you that you're looking at a tom or a hen. Yes, I know, my mind tries to connect weird, possibly unrelated, things. :)

o

TX AG
When reposting just change something in the subject window. I usually add a comma or something.

o

Your irises are bearded, all right, and look like several of the beautiful named historical varieties. Here's a place to start if you'd like to research them further.

Here is a link that might be useful: HIPS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here