Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginnypenny

Madame Galen Tumpet vine...where to find

ginnypenny
11 years ago

I'm looking for some Madame Galen Trumpet vines in the Tyler..East Texas area. Anyone have ideas?

Comments (10)

• badducky
    11 years ago

I cringe at anyone planting any trumpet vine. They are so invasive and destructive. I'm currently battling one that was planted by a former owner within six feet of my foundation. It will eat the whole house, if I let it.

I hope you're going to be planting this monster 100 yards from anything and everyone you love or like or want not to be destroyed.

• phoenix7801
    11 years ago

Madame Galen trumpet vine is a cross between the native Campsis radicans (orange trumpet) and Campsis grandiflora (Chinese trumpet) and is better behaved then either the orange or yellow trumpet vine. That being said still make sure to a sturdy support for it.

• ginnypenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I'm aware of how invasive they can be. I have a person who wants one on the back fence...chainlink.

Any ideas on a less aggressive vine that is or nearly evergreen and blooms more than just in the spring? She loves the idea of mandavilla, but wants one that will stay green.

ginnypenny

• lucas_tx_gw
    11 years ago

Cross vine is another nice native alternative that gets nice and big but not invasive. Someone I know in the DFW area has one that's something like 40 feet long on her fence line but it all comes from the one original set of roots.

I have a huge one on a trellis at my house and it only emerges from the ground in the one area it was planted. This is a combinationation of cross vine on the right and coral honeysuckle on the left. If you want a more massive plant, you can see that the cross vine is more substantial, yet has not smothered the lonicera.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cross Vine

This post was edited by lucas_tx on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 17:06

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    11 years ago

@lucas-tx, Nice photo of your wall of flowering vines. Those are two vines we've been using to replace the rogue trumpet vine, but have not lived with the cross vine long enough to comment on it. Glad to hear your experience has been so good. Do want to add that cross vine is also evergreen, since this was a preference mentioned by ginnypenny.

• ginnypenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lucas-Tex thanks so much for the photo. I'm going to try to make print of it. I told my friend about about both of these vines, but didn't have such a great px to show. Surely after seeing this she'll agree to replace her choice of Madam Galen with these.

I really don't want to just refuse to plant what she wants, but may have to.

• backacre
    11 years ago

Ginny, it's probably too late but Hughes Plant Farm has a 'Madame Rosy' Trumpet Creeper. Supposedly well mannered and seedless. Priced at $9.25. Love Hughes!

• ginnypenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, not it's not too late. I'm still looking for a good alternative for her. I also love Hughes. I'll stop by and check them and the Madame Rosy out!! That's why I LOVE this site.

Ginny

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I got mine at Lowes. Barbra