Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Madame Galen Tumpet vine...where to find

Posted by ginnypenny East TXZ8 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 21:11

I'm looking for some Madame Galen Trumpet vines in the Tyler..East Texas area. Anyone have ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Madame Galen Tumpet vine...where to find

I cringe at anyone planting any trumpet vine. They are so invasive and destructive. I'm currently battling one that was planted by a former owner within six feet of my foundation. It will eat the whole house, if I let it.

I hope you're going to be planting this monster 100 yards from anything and everyone you love or like or want not to be destroyed.

o

Madame Galen trumpet vine is a cross between the native Campsis radicans (orange trumpet) and Campsis grandiflora (Chinese trumpet) and is better behaved then either the orange or yellow trumpet vine. That being said still make sure to a sturdy support for it.

o

Yes, I'm aware of how invasive they can be. I have a person who wants one on the back fence...chainlink.

Any ideas on a less aggressive vine that is or nearly evergreen and blooms more than just in the spring? She loves the idea of mandavilla, but wants one that will stay green.

ginnypenny

o

Any ideas on a less aggressive vine that is or nearly evergreen and blooms more than just in the spring?

As someone into my third year of eradicating trumpet vine (Campsis radicans) sold as Madame Galen (Campsis x tagliabuana) forgeries, I strongly suggest you be very careful of the source OR consider Coral Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) as an alternative. We've had proper Madame Galen in the past that were well mannered, but don't think I'll ever consider chancing it for an urban fence again after this most recent experience.

L. sempervirens has advantages of being much less aggressive AND evergreen. It's also available in several colors. Major Wheeler is a very nice red variety that is already blooming in our yard.

Only tradeoffs versus Trumpet Vine that I can think of are that it will need more help getting to the top of the fence and, while drought resistant, it does not put down the kind of 5+ ft deep roots that campsis radicans puts out. One removed last week went straight down and was longer than my shovel. C. radicans is no doubt tougher, but of course, that's why it is taking me years to get rid of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coral honeysuckle is the perfect vine for landscapes

o

Cross vine is another nice native alternative that gets nice and big but not invasive. Someone I know in the DFW area has one that's something like 40 feet long on her fence line but it all comes from the one original set of roots.

I have a huge one on a trellis at my house and it only emerges from the ground in the one area it was planted. This is a combinationation of cross vine on the right and coral honeysuckle on the left. If you want a more massive plant, you can see that the cross vine is more substantial, yet has not smothered the lonicera.

photo IMG_0621.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Cross Vine

This post was edited by lucas_tx on Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 17:06

o

@lucas-tx, Nice photo of your wall of flowering vines. Those are two vines we've been using to replace the rogue trumpet vine, but have not lived with the cross vine long enough to comment on it. Glad to hear your experience has been so good. Do want to add that cross vine is also evergreen, since this was a preference mentioned by ginnypenny.

o

Lucas-Tex thanks so much for the photo. I'm going to try to make print of it. I told my friend about about both of these vines, but didn't have such a great px to show. Surely after seeing this she'll agree to replace her choice of Madam Galen with these.

I really don't want to just refuse to plant what she wants, but may have to.

o

Ginny, it's probably too late but Hughes Plant Farm has a 'Madame Rosy' Trumpet Creeper. Supposedly well mannered and seedless. Priced at $9.25. Love Hughes!

o

Thanks, not it's not too late. I'm still looking for a good alternative for her. I also love Hughes. I'll stop by and check them and the Madame Rosy out!! That's why I LOVE this site.

Ginny

o

I got mine at Lowes. Barbra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here