Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franksmom_2010

Is muhly grass messy?

franksmom_2010
12 years ago

So, we're redoing the landscaping in the foundation beds, taking out everything that died last year and a few things the PO's put in that needed to go.

I've been reading about muhly grass (particularly Lindheimer's) and think it would be the perfect thing for one corner that needs some height and contrast.

My question is, what happens to those seeds? Do you just cut them off in the spring, or do they end up scattered all over? DH is wary of the mess. Do you need to prune the plant back in the spring, or is it pretty maintance free? Any other problems or issues with this plant? Will it be easy to find, or will I need to seek out a native plant dealer?

Comments (4)

• novascapes
    12 years ago

I have had some planted for several years. It is about 3 feet tall. So far I have not had any seed come up. I trim it back around February. I doesn't look to bad if you forget. It is slow growing (with no fertilizer) The first time I watered it was during last years drought. It is growing in partial shade in high pH clay soil. I had it planted along with cactus.

• debndal
    12 years ago

I don't know how much height you are going for, but mine are only about 3' (maybe a little less). I wouldn't call them messy, but I do have to rake out the fallen leaves from the crown every spring. Cutting them back every year makes that easier, but I've been told not to cut back Lindheimer's, just comb out the winter dead leaves (that's an ordeal). I've done both and haven't noticed any change in growth either way. Mine are going on 4 years, and I do wonder if they will die out in the middle like pampas grass does. I love the look of it, but I'm waiting to see if it's going to be hard to maintain as it gets larger and older. It may be a chore to divide when it needs it. Oh, and I haven't noticed mine reseeding either.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

They grow wild on my land. There is a huge clump on a bridge embankment on my neighbors. It is a monster and nothing is done to it. It does not die out in the middle. The seeds are not very viable for long. The universe has to arange it self perfect with rain at he time they are setting seed because they do not stay viable for long. I have collected them and tried germinating them and it is not easy so I would say that you should not find it a head ache spreading everywhere. It grows to different sizes depending on the type, depth of soil and amount of moisture. Some clumps, I trim if I am bored and out looking for something to do but I let them all go with a ragged spring time head because I am lazy.

it is a strange plant. It will take shade and dry soil but you might not recognize it. It likes stream beds and seeps out in its native habitat. Ranchers use it as a sign of where to dig for a spring. If it is a good sized bunch out on the hill, there is probably a spring not far away.

• franksmom_2010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much!

We're replacing the variegated privet that the PO's planted. It has a nice shape and leaf color for the house, but gets way too big to be planted in a foundation bed. I've pruned it severely several times since we've lived here, and it just comes back bigger every time.

I was at Lowes and Home Depot today, and didn't see any, but it may just be too early. I'd like to see it in person before I make up my mind, but it seems like a good choice. I was going to plant Gulf Stream nandina in those spots, but worry that the color of the nandina wouldn't play well with everything else that's planted there.

Any other good grass suggestions?