Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tx_ag_95

Stephen F. Austin rose

tx_ag_95
12 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with the Stephen F. Austin rose? Antique Rose Emporium has it, looks like they "bred" it? http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/roses/1660/stephen-f-austin

I'm currently thinking about putting two roses in my front yard, one on either side of the walkway. I have a Belinda's Dream that I'm rooting for one (Thanks, Carrie!) so I want something other than pink for the other side. I'd thought Mutabilis! But evidently they like to grow very large (20'? in diameter) and I don't have near enough room for that. In searching online I found the Stephen F. Austin rose, a pretty yellow rose that's the child of Carefree Beauty (that I have in the backyard) and Graham Thomas (never heard of it).

I can handle a 6' rosebush provided it's not more than 6-7' in diameter. I'm looking for something that I can plant, with or without amending the soil, water regularly until it's established, and then basically ignore. I'll run the sprinkler system if we don't get rain for a month. I'll do an annual, or even semi-annual, trimming/pruning/cut it down to the roots. But, beyond that and maybe some compost every now and then, it needs to survive on its own. I just don't have the time, energy, or resources to baby my landscaping.

If you don't have experience with the Stephen F Austin rose but have something else to suggest, let me know. I'm open to suggestion! I'm slightly northwest of Dallas and about half-a-mile form Lake Lewisville, which I'm pretty sure tempers the weather a little bit, with the lovely black clay soil and I'm on the downhill side of the neighborhood, so everyone drains into my yard and then into the lake.

Comments (9)