Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing amaryllis outdoors in my area

Posted by ladysmith94 Zone 7 TX (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 9, 11 at 21:26

I am interested in growing amaryllis outdoors here in West Texas Zone 7. Are they winter hardy here? I need good info and I am not finding any.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing amaryllis outdoors in my area

The Hardy Amaryllis, Hippeastrum johnsonii (pronounced jon Son ee eye, if you're wondering) is said to be hardy to zone 7. I had some years ago, and they survived about 8 years of total neglect. In an ill-advised moment, I removed them to make room for canna. I'll be planting a couple of replacements today. The bulbs are hard to come by. Upon advice from the helpful commentators on the Amaryllis forum, I found some at Southern Bulb Company. They were not cheap--all told, $40 for 2, inclusive of shipping and tax. These guys (a couple of Aggies) work quick. I had mine 2 days after placing the order. Now, and for the next few weeks, is supposed to be the best time for planting the bulbs.

o

I have several Red Lions and plant them out in spring and dig them up before the first freeze like a caladium. They produce nice blooms in spring this way.

o

I have red ones that have been in the ground for 7 years in the DFW area. A little south of you, but not much. They bloom beautifully year after year. Last year I divided them and spread them out and gave some away. So far, only two have poked their heads up. I hope more come back soon!

o

I have the large red ones (never knew the variety) that have been in the ground here for almost twenty years, and they come back each year and multiply very well. They are all up and loving the sunshine.

o

Try your search in the Amaryllis Forum where this topic is frequently discussed. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Can amaryllis be grown outdoors?

o

Thank you all for the helpful info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here