Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ogrose_tx

When do Iris normally bloom in Dallas area?

ogrose_tx
12 years ago

My irises aren't even showing buds yet, but I am totally in the dark about when they usually bloom. I know I need to thin them out (which I haven't done :() and they have been in the same spot for years.

When do they normally bloom for you?

Comments (15)

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

Mine are blooming now. The old white ones that bloom first at UTA started blooming this year in early Jan.! Some of mine haven't shown any sign of buds. Oh, I'm talking about bearded iris.

Dutch iris just started blooming and some Lousiana iris are just showing bud signs.

good luck! I get so excited when one day i see that thickening where a bud will show it self.

c

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I have only one blooming, but they all look healthy and will give me many blooms later on.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Assuming y'all are running a couple weeks behind S. central TX,(San Antonio area) It is a tad early for them to bloom.

Not all tall bearded iris bloom at the same time.
    The cemetery whites are the first to bloom. Mine are just about finished. The old standby purple are blooming. The iris I ordered last year had bloom times as: blooms early, late early, mid, early late or late in the season.

• ruthz
    12 years ago

Iris don't like me, so mine almost never bloom, but they have been blooming in my neighborhood for a few weeks now.

• random_harvest
    12 years ago

If we're talking tall bearded iris, don't worry. Some of my early ones are in full bloom now, but some of the later ones, like Stairway to Heaven, aren't even showing their little pregnant bulge down in the foliage yet.

• ibheri
    12 years ago

Kathy, the bearded iris that I got from you have not started blooming yet and I don't see any buds either.

• tx_ag_95
    12 years ago

My purple bearded iris just started blooming. I have others in a pot that aren't even thinking about it and a batch that I got as babies two summers ago that have put up the first bud spike ever.

Do iris HAVE to be thinned regularly to keep blooming?

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Mine don't................I thin them occasionally, but not as often as I should, and they are still blooming. Perhaps they would bloom better if I did.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

I transplated all my bearded iris last fall. They are huge with all this rain, but no blooms or even baby bumps yet. I was beginning to wonder if they skip a year when moved.

The neighbor's purple iris are blooming.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Indu, I think Roselee is right. My son's purples are so pretty. I have very few bloom stalks this year. Just 2 or 3.

• ibheri
    12 years ago

Intresting !! Mine are huge too (like Rselee).. I may have to thin them out as they are getting very close to some of the roses..

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

I spoke too soon about the iris not blooming, but this is very weird. There are two iris blooms opening right at the base of the foliage! Here is a picture of one of them:

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Roselee, that really IS weird, but sure pretty, LOL! But, I guess we take what we can get, right?

• franksmom_2010
    12 years ago

I have some Cherub's Smile that I planted 3 years ago that have never bloomed. I started with just two little rhizomes, and now the clump is about 2x2 feet. I suspect that it's lack of light...they only get sun until about 2pm, but the foliage sure seems happy. If they don't bloom this year, I'm moving them to full sun in the fall and we'll see what happens. With my luck, it'll take them 3 more years to recover!

I just transplanted a few of the old purple bearded iris that I got from my Mom. She's had those for decades, and we had a huge bed of them at the old house. I should have taken some to this house, but was just too busy with the move.

• ogrose_tx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, my, I'm FINALLY starting to see some buds... will watch very carefully to see if I really need to thin my iris out. It will depend on how many in my large clump actually bloom. Guess (hope) I was just too early to expect blooms!