Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I've got a vacancy....

Posted by cynthianovak 7/8 TX (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 22:15

Mutabalis rose is gone. Roots only work left to dig out.

I have a place in the sun not far from other roses. It's on a 4 ft tall woden fence. Gets full sun and unless I'm diligent the new occupant might get covered by purple passion flower: Incense and the Per. Morning Glory: Blue Dawn.

Any all shrub type plants come to mind? I thought about buddleia not sure which one. I'm open to suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I've got a vacancy....

I love the mutablis--how did yours die?

One of the few shrubs I have that's surpassed my expectations--survived drought and freeze, and produced beautiful flowers to boot--is the flowering quince. It takes so little care and is very easy to prune into a nice shape. And you can't beat a shrub covered in coral-colored blooms in February!

My thryallis is one of the other surprise successes in my garden, and it's growing in hilly caliche soil. Needs more pruning, though, and will get frost damage.

o

I don't know for sure how it died. I do know another person who had problems with this rose and canes splitting or dieing. I would have described it as you do last year.

Anyway, I'm still in the looking mode. Thank you for the suggestions. I sure like looking at quince in winter..
c

o

I've always wanted a Black Knight buddleia...a really dark purple but I love the quince too!

o

that's the one I like too! I still haven't decided. Moon flowers /datura are moving in along with plenty of vines...I need to commit thank you
c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here