Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
That old purple phlox and euphorbia...

Posted by cynthianovak 7/8 TX (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 22:49

Hi All

You know that light purple phlox common at old houses? I have some in part sun. I need to replace my Moonflowers (Datura) and wonder if it can take full pounding sun on the H-strip?

In that light...I'm spending a gift certificate to Bluestone Periennials. I'm looking at several of these: Bonfire, Chameleon, Tiny tim and Polychroma. Any experience with these? Can they really take hot and dry and Texas Sun? They say so and I've ordered but now I wonder if y'all know what to expect.

thank you
c

A

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: That old purple phlox and euphorbia...

I have Phlox Pilosa "Slim Jim" in full blazing sun and it does great, but it only blooms for a while. If you want something that blooms ALL season long, try perennial moss verbena.

o

I don't think it will be as hardy as the Datura. Datura can grow anywhere. If it doesn't work out you can always but the datura back.

o

Cynthia - I don't have those varieties of euphorbia, but I do grow a couple of other varieties and they do great here. I bet you will have good success with your euphorbias. They are a nice unusual accent plant.

o

Many Euphorbias can not take the heat and sun of Texas. E, rigida and E, myrosintes can but I don't know about these others. Good luck. I have killed a few of the other types but not those listed. I am pretty sure the polycroma will not take the heat. I can't remember where I heard that

o
That old purple Plox

I also Have grown Phlox pilosa in the sun and the shade without any extra water.. They are getting ready to bloom as I type. It is a spreader.

o
to hot??

Bluestone Perennial is from Ohio. Their concept of hot and dry is different from a Texan's idea of hot and dry. So be careful.

o

thank you
My order didn't go through, so I will try something else. I looked up the phlox pilosa and that doesn't look like the one I have. My leaves are smooth. I'll try a few babies. Going to plant some verbena on the strip too and other hardy pers.

Y'all are a wealth of knowledge and experience.

c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here