Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FYI Community Garden in Arlington

Posted by cynthianovak 7/8 TX (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 22:53

Did you know about this? I heard talk in the past few months, then heard that are almost sold out. I drive past there every week, but didn't see it.

In case you are interested or curious, it is on Summit near UTA. Summit runs parallel to Davis so here are the directions: Take Davis to Abrams. Go 1 block east on Abrams to Summit. Go South on Summit. It's on your right, set back about 50 ft. If you come to UTA blvd. you've passed it. There are raised beds for individuals.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FYI Community Garden in Arlington

I stopped by there today. It's actually just
South of UTA behind the Sweet Center at 301 Summit.

There are about 85 raised beds. They are about a foot tall. Looks like they are filled with topsoil, maybe sandy topsoil. Its through ARlington PArks and Rec. I was told that the beds lease for $25 a year or maybe a season. 1/2 of the food produced goes to the food bank.

I wish them a great harvest!

o

You lease a bed and then have to give 1/2 to the food bank? How big are the beds?

o

HI Marti
My brain didn't register the size. Memory says about 4 ft by 20? I did find a link, not through the city but through UTA. I didn't see anything about a cost, do see reference to donating to food bank. I suspect it's about people learning to garden and working together. They aren't fenced in plots like those I saw in Boston.

Here is a link that might be useful: community gardens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here