Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Sweet Peppers

Posted by therustyone 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 22:58

(Cross post, I also posted on the vegetable forum)

What is the secret to growing sweet peppers with nice thick
juicy walls? ? ? ?

Mine are always so thin walled,
they are hardly worth the effort.

But today I bought some plants anyhow,
Ready to try again.

Sure would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Rusty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Sweet Peppers

May I ask what variety of sweet peppers you're growing?

Lisa

o

• Posted by ruthz 8 dfw texas (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 12:09

I think answering southofsa's question will solve the problem for you.
Make sure you buy the type that says thick walled.
The round cheese/pimento types are thick walled.
Two thick walled ones that I grow and love are Tolli's Italian and Lipstick.

o

I'm asking about bell peppers.
Mine always have paper thin walls,
Not thick and juicy like the ones I get in the grocery store.

I get my starter plants at one of the 'big box' stores.
The tags only have basic how to grow instructions,
nothing about variety attributes.

I appreciate the responses.

Rusty

o

There are many, many varieties of sweet bell peppers with a range of wall thickness from very thin to very thick. There's a couple problems you run into when you buy transplants. One is that the varieties sometimes aren't marked. The other is most places, even very good nurseries, may only carry one or two varieties. What they carry probably will do well in your area.

You can call the county extension agency for your area and ask which varieties of thick walled sweet peppers are suggested for growing in your area. Or if you have a good nursery nearby that carries vegetables you can see what they have in stock. Hopefully they'll have what you're looking for. If you want to try growing from seed sometime, you'll have a lot more choices of varieties.

Hope this helps - Lisa

This post was edited by southofsa on Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 7:32

o

I save the seed from the peppers I buy that I really like, and have had success with growing similiar peppers. It really isn't too late to try this method as peppers do best when the temps get really hot.

o

I have never gotten a thin walled bell pepper. This year I have one plant that survived our winter and is just starting to put on new leaves so I expect to have a fine plant that should produce lots of peppers.

My hot peppers also are starting to bloom but I am at the age that we do not eat hot peppers anymore so I am hoping one of my neighbors will take them off my hands soon.

This post was edited by wally-1936 on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 14:52

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here