Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tx_ag_95

Winter/Spring weeds that spread by rhizomes

tx_ag_95
12 years ago

So, the "winter" weeds that I thought I had pulled and thrown away have come back from the roots...in some places, probably where they were allowed to grow really big & strong. It's NOT henbit. It's a brighter green leaf, more blade-like in shape, some-what centered around a rosette/taproot. Kinda looks like clover but not. About a month ago I weeded the entire area, as it's a landscape bed with mulch around the "good" plants. Tonight I found a number of spots where the weeds were coming back and when I hacked at them with a hand-held hoer, I found a large root/rhizome that I proceeded to dig out. I'm wondering what on Earth this is and how on Earth do I get rid of it?!? I was about to spread corn gluten meal on the entire area, wet it down, and let it dry, then cover it with a heavy layer of mulch. BUT, I don't think that would phase this nasty weed. And, if it's a plant you like, I apologize, but it spreads too quickly for me and I just don't like the way it looks, so it's a weed for me.

Comments (6)