Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
200mfromocean

Looking for 15-20' Tall evergreen to plant on east side of my hou

200mfromocean
11 years ago

Hello Everyone. I just moved to my second house and I am planning on living here for a while. Although new to gardening, I have quickly become obsessed with it. In any event my house is mostly 1 story with 2 bedrooms over the garage. It is kind of a mini monstrosity and I want to soften the east side with 2 trees.

I live in the southeaster portion of Denton county right on the Dallas County border. I have about 1' of black soil, with some kind of brown soil below. There is about 7.5' between my driveway and garage/2story section of my house. The italian cypress comes to mind, but I am looking for something that will grow a little wider than 3'. I t also needs to be an evergreen.

I am considering Eagleston Holly, Nelly r stevens, spartan juniper.

I think the wife would go for the spartan but the east side of my house may not provide enough sun. Any suggestions are more than welcome. I will likely returning those Leland Cypresses.

Comments (15)

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    11 years ago

Yaupon holly (Ilex vomitoria) and wax myrtle (morella cerifera) are hardy native evergreens within your size range. Both are capable of being trimmed as large shrubs or small trees to suit a variety of tastes. Google image search will give a good idea of the possibilities.

Texas Mountain Laurel (sophora secundiflora) MAY work in your location. We're trying one a few miles south of you to replace part of a nandina screen, but have not had it in long enough to judge performance and references are mixed on how well (poorly?) it does in north Texas.

• tx_ag_95
    11 years ago

Texas Mountain Laurel MIGHT work, BUT...they don't grow very fast. And, they might (eventually) get to be too wide for the space. At least, that's my recollection from my parents' yard in San Antonio, but it probably took 20 years for that to be a problem. That said, I love them and have two in my east facing front yard and probably will be getting two more next winter. We are on the northern tail end of their "zone" for flowering. I'm a bit north of you, by the lake.

I'd definitely look into the hollies, I have a couple in the back yard that are probably as tall as you're looking for. Not sure what type or how old they are, as they came with the house.

• 200mfromocean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That may be a good spot for the mountain laurel. Just removed two 25-30' overgrown fruit trees with droopy branches. They were planted too close together and could not stair at them any longer.
    In any event a nice size mountain laurel probably cost some good coin. I am leaning on Nellie R's for section nearby the house, but will probably wait till October. The hedge by the fence is a section of cleyera.

• whitecap
    11 years ago

The first thing to do is decide whether "going native" makes sense.

It would take the Texas mountain laurel forever to reach the desired height. The Nelly holly is very slow growing, as is the yaupon. Neither are particularly "upright." Junipers crave light, and will grow at an angle, towards the sun, if they don't get enough.

I would be looking at photinia and the ligustrums for that space. These would leave sufficient room for a nice, evergreen mix of liriope, dwarf yaupon, Harbour Dwarf Nandina and whatnot between the large shrubs and the driveway. All are drought tolerant, and do well in poor soil. Regrettably, most are not deemed ecologically correct.

• 200mfromocean
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the response whitcap. I will have to look at the ligustrums. I like the combination suggestions. Also found some nice size(12'+) east palatka holly that may fit the bill. They seem to have the natural vase shape I am looking for. They also seem to have a single lead stem while the nellie R has a multistem The problem is that everyone says that they reach a different mature size. The nursery claims 20' tall then you search to find 30' 40' tall specimans

The good ol photenia shrub or shall I say tree seems to want to spread out much more than I need.

• lucas_tx_gw
    11 years ago

Another vote for wax myrtle. Does well in part sun. Will probably require some supplemental water, but not a water hog once established and can be pruned to nice light airy shape.

• 200mfromocean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Took a trip to the arboretum and snapped a few pics of some of the taller shrubs. I am looking to plant a something to provide a tall informal privacy hedge behind my 8' fence that receives a fair dose of south and west sun. I would love to do the Nellie R or some type of combo, but Nellie are fairly pricey and take a long time to mature. I am hesitant to plant red tip chinease photenia. I really likes the osmanthus awabuki and fortunei and especially the sweet olive. Does anyone know which ones grow the fastest in north central texas?

• 200mfromocean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sweet olive

• 200mfromocean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sweet olive1

• 200mfromocean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

viburnum awabuki

• 200mfromocean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

viburnum awabuki

• meandmealone
    10 years ago

The first thing I would look for is the width and heighth at MATURITY of any plant you are considering for that space. Then, I would want to know about the size of the root system. You stated you have about 7.5 feet between the foundation of the house and the driveway. A ligustrum and definitely a red tip photenia, with a large trunk and root system could lead to a cracked driveway or foundation. Both are expensive to repair.

The problem with trees, even small trees, is they require a larger area than your 7.5 feet for their root growth.

You may want to consider a vine on your house, one like fig ivy that does not damage brick and can be easily trimmed to the height you want, with smaller more colorful shrubs and perennials in front.

Just a thought.

• ArtVandelay99
    10 years ago

Japanese Yew might work.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• 200mfromocean
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I ended up planting two spartan junipers along the side of the house. They are noce and fat and supposedly grow to 15'. I want to plant something else by the windows, but will wait till the end of september. The window side obviously does not get sun and it would be preferable to look at leaves and not branches. Thanks.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Cherry laurels are a good substitute for ligustrums. How about and a trellis and a vine? A clumping bamboo would be stunning in that area. A running bamboo would work but one needs to wrap the area with bamboo boundarie to contain the roots. The driveway is NOT enough. It would go under it to the other side in time. I would ceck around about What the roots would do to the house foundation.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm