Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holly fern help

Posted by TexasSnow Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 23:30

My 2-year-old holly ferns look terrible, although I'm pretty sure they are all alive. I have cut back all the dead fronds, but need suggestions on care. They are all under mature red oaks in clay soil.

I really need to do what I can to get these poor plants revived, replacing all of them would be really expensive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holly fern help

Some of mine looked bad too so a couple of weeks ago I cut them back, loosened the soil, applied some fertilizer and compost, mixed it in, and watered. They are already putting out new fronds. Mulching the ground around them would be beneficial also. They'll do fine and you won't have to replace them.

o

Thanks for the reply. What type of fertilizer did you use?

o

As for fertilizer -- nothing special, just whatever I have on hand. I watch for broken bags of fertilizer at Lowes; preferably those with a slow release form of nitrogen. Organically derived fertilizer is my first choice, but I'll use other types also.

o

Just to add to roselee's excellent comments: Holly fern may be the easiest fern to grow in alkaline clay, but it often has the drawback of the crown pushing up above the soil line. If this happens, it's critical that you raise the mulch line correspondingly. Every spring and fall, I apply slow-release organic fertilizer, e.g. Yum Yum Mix, Lady Bug or Medina Growin Green, followed by a top dressing of good compost (I prefer homemade), and finally a thick layer of shredded bark mulch. This ritual seems to maintain soil tilth, which keeps the ferns happy. In the meantime, if you notice the crowns growing taller, it's time to add more mulch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here