Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jolanaweb

I've raised a seed snatcher, lol Pics

jolanaweb
17 years ago

Does anyone know what this is? My son brought it to me last weekend, I had forgotten about it till I saw a green one (dyed) just like it in a bowl of potpourri. The pods are about 2 inches long

Any ideas

Thanks, jolana

{{gwi:1342164}}

{{gwi:1342165}}

{{gwi:1342166}}

Comments (32)

• imp4mav
    17 years ago

Maybe.....Tx Mountain Laurel!?!

• melvalena
    17 years ago

yep. that's what I think too.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No, TX Mtn. Laurel's pods are different and the seeds are bright red and more round.
    These are brown and almost flat
    Thanks tho
    jolana

Here is a link that might be useful: Mtn. Laurel seeds

• denisew
    17 years ago

I thought it might be persimmon since the seeds are brown and flat, but not sure about the pod since persimmons are round fruit. Maybe they dry like that? Not sure. I did take a look at some under google images, but it didn't show a dried seed pod, just the seeds.

• ntt_hou
    17 years ago

I don't know what those are but I do know that Persimmon seeds are not in a pod.

• carrie751
    17 years ago

JOLANA, where did your "seed snatcher" get it? Was it on a plant at the time? Maybe a description of the plant would shed some light on it.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oops, I thought I said, lol
    He just said it was a shrub about 3 or 4 ft tall

• carrie751
    17 years ago

Well, I suppose you will just have to grow one, and then maybe someone can identify it ---LOL. Certainly an interesting pod!!

• carolann_z8
    17 years ago

Jolana, you raised that boy right!!

Now one question, when he went to town did he bring the family cow with him and return with the seeds?

• Texasorbust
    17 years ago

LOL Carolann!!! Maybe they would know on the seedsaver forum?

• Texasorbust
    17 years ago

This it?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• melvalena
    17 years ago

I have a similar pod. I picked it off a bush last Christmas that was planted in front of the Westin on La Cantera in SA.

I just sent them an email asking what those bushes are.

I thought they might be MtL seeds from the picture, because I've seen the picture of the seeds and pod somewhere else recently. Perhaps your seeds are old and dried out?

I can't find my pod right now, but its in this house somewhere!

Here is a link that might be useful: Westin La Cantera

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's not Mtn Laurel and it was just picked a couple of weeks ago.
    If y'all have any potpourri, chances are you have one like it.
    The same kind of pod is in all of mine, lol
    Susan I will post it over there
    Thanks to all of you

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

Now that's a new one! A "Seed Snatcher" e-mailing the snatchee, to discover what they snatched! Ha! Ha!
    Jim

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hahaha, nervy...yeah, but how is she supposed to find out what she snatched, lol

I posted mine on the seed saving forum but nothing, it doesn't seem very active around there according to the dates.
    The I put it on name that plant because in the past, they have named my plants in record time but nothing.
    We were out running errands today and I kept thinking, when I get home I'm gonna find out I have seeds to a really cool plant, lol
    Maybe I should ask DS where he got it and go there, lol

• melvalena
    17 years ago

If they're planted in front of The Westin, I'm sure they're pretty cool plants. :)

I didn't tell 'em I snatched seeds.. I just asked what those plants out front with the peanut looking seed pods are.

Haven't heard back yet. I went all through their web site trying to see if they had a shot of the front entry way with those bushes but there isn't one. (at least that I can find)

Maybe some nice San Antonio person can go take a picture for us? hmmmm

Might be easier for your son to show you the plant. :)

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No luck, DS said the plant was in a pile by the curb in front of a older home close to downtown Austin. It's been abandoned and they are ready to demolish to buid new ones.

• melvalena
    17 years ago

OK then. Its up to the folks in San Antonio to got get a picture of the bushes.

The are planted along the side walk between the parking lot and the front of the building.

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Barbara /honeybunny is closer to there. It is a 45 min drive for me.

• pjtexgirl
    17 years ago

No clue what it is but Jolana you've raised that kid right!!! lol!PJ

• denisew
    17 years ago

Oooooo . . . maybe you should rescue that plant from also being demolished. There might be other things worth saving there, so maybe your son should show you where he got it and you can bring your shovel and some containers.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Denise, that was the first thing I asked him but they were all dead, he said he scratched all of them. that''s when he found the pod on the underside, lol

• littleonefb
    17 years ago

The pod looks a lot like the pods on iris plants and they are used in lots of dried arrangements. The pods don't look dry, when they are they are usually dark brown and start to open at the top.
    You may have been told the pods where off a shrub, but it looks like iris pods and seeds.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    17 years ago

Yes littleone, some how those triangular seed pods looked familiar! Here is what I found on google.

Here is a link that might be useful: triangular seed pods: Iris pseudacorus L.

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have some iris seeds and looked and they are different and the pods are actually 6 side.
    I'm just going to go ahead and plant and see what happens.
    I really do believe that DS, knows the difference between an Iris and a shrub, lol
    Thanks for all of you help

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

Ask him if there were any leaves on the plant. If so, could he describe them. I tried a plant key on line, but with only the seed pod, and the fact that it's in North America, I couldn't narrow it down enough. Would he know the difference between a compound leaf and a single leaf? Could he compare it to a leaf like a rose or a pecan or mesquite has compared to that of an oak or mesquite or whatnot? It actually reminds me sort of a yucca seed. Is the seed pod fragrant?

Sally

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No, not fragrant, of course, I'm so stopped up, I can barely smell rosemary while pruning it, lol
    Thanks Sally I will ask him

• melvalena
    17 years ago

I know I pulled my similar seed pod off a bush, not an Iris.
    I'll look around for it today and try to post a picture of mine so we can see if they are the same or not.

• sally2_gw
    17 years ago

I was just wondering about fragrance since you said it's in potpourri. Maybe it's just for decoration. I'm not a potpourri kind of gal, so I'm totally ignorant on what goes into those.

Sally

• jolanaweb
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sally, those have been dyed and scented
    I just get them for my MIL, when she visits, she likes the clean floral scents, lol
    Thanks Melvalena
    jolana

• denisew
    17 years ago

Now you all have me very interested in finding out what that thing is too. I'm just sitting here by my keyboard and screen waiting for the final answer . . .

• nuitjasmine
    17 years ago

I came across this post in the "name that plant" forum and followed your link! :)
    just a stab in the dark-- to me, it looks vaguely like a cobaea scandens seed pod... and the seeds also look somewhat like cobaea seeds, but the pics are blurry so it is hard to tell. The pod is a bit more angular around the main veins than I recall the cobaea being, but when it dries I think it does become angular as well...

Being native to Mexico, cobaea should be right at home growing in TX without much care, though I have never seen a pod in potpourri...

Anyway, just a guess... :)

Here is a link that might be useful: unripe cobaea seed pod