Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aster issues

Posted by zitro_joe 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 0:28

For all of March this thing was a flower machine, now it has really been making duds.

This month the leaves have been showing up with these yellow/bronze stripes. Then this fuzz is made a presence. I am unfamiliar withe asters as this is my first year to grow them.

I have supplemented with a 'blooming' with iron and magnesium as instructed since these issues showed up.

Anyone have some advice? Thank you.

zJoe

photo DSC_0449_zpsf755a16f.jpg
 photo DSC_0448_zpsbb1032b7.jpg
 photo DSC_0444_zps841f52d9.jpg
 photo DSC_0443_zpsaad663c7.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aster issues

I've never grown asters, but the grey spots look like mildew. I don't know what the brown streaks are from. There are native asters. Most have very small flowers though.. Maybe that variety just doesn't like our climate.

o

I only have the fall blooming native aster and I don't have any problems with those.

o

I don't think those are asters. Take your picture to a good nursery and ask.
Maybe mislabeled.
Looks like osteospermum, but the leaf is not the same.

o

You know, Kathy, you may be right.........they do look a lot like the pericallis I purchased this year, and I believe they are known as cool weather plants. Here are some images from Google.........hope it works.
http://www.google.com/search?q=pericallis&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_9F9Uen4FumP2gXbjoDQBg&sqi=2&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=936&bih=462

o

Pericallis! That has to be it. That looks exactly like what it is. Maybe it was in the wrong spot.

Thanks.

o

Let us know if moving it helps, Joe. This is my first year growing them so I put them in containers to be able to move them around to the proper amount of sun. So far, a few hours seems to be working.

o

carrie, found this...
http://senetti.com/gardeners/how-to-grow-better/
I may bring this indoors as it is becoming hot and humid here; the two things it does nor like.

o

Mine are still looking pretty good............deadheaded them today, but may bring mine inside also when the temps get above ninty..............won't be this week though as another cold front is headed our way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here