Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

Sweet Autumn Verbena

cynthianovak
9 years ago

Is yours coming back yet? I hay need to cut back to the ground. I hope not it was 7 feet tall last year. No signs of life on the branches, looks like some at the base. Any of you with this plant?

Comments (9)

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    9 years ago

Is there such a plant or did you mean sweet almond verbena (Aloysia virgata)? No experience, but saved the following TAMU link due to an interest in trying Aloysia gratissima in north Texas. It calls a. virgata a dieback shrub in zone 8 - if that's what you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloysia data sheet

• carrie751
    9 years ago

Cynthia, when I googled Sweet Autumn Verbena, it came up along with Sweet Autumn Clematis.............the pics look like my SAC and if this is what you are referring to, mine is looking great and still trying to take over the world.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry...am watching my Sweet Almond Verbena. Thank you for the data sheet.....c

• carrie751
    9 years ago

So, are they not the same plant, Cynthia????

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Carrie, mine is the Aloysia not the clematis. It looks like it is coming back from the base. The fragrance is very sweet and it makes a fast growing woody shrub. Bees love it and the sweet scent will literally bring folks from the street into my garden to ask what it is...especially in the evening. The last 2 years it returned from old wood. I'm still hopeful but doubtful at the same time. c

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

I know my climate is not as cold as yours, but this last winter made me wonder if my three would come back from old wood. They have. They are about 12 or 15 ft tall and all but the ends of the small branches are leafing out making for lots of little sticks to clear out, but I'm not complaining.

I'm glad you see growth! When mine were young they'd freeze to the ground, but would grow back quickly.

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Mine is starting to get some green, but it's in a pot.

• austinrosie
    9 years ago

Sweet Almond is one of my favorite plants! Extremely tolerant and divine fragrance.(I hope she's not listening) but unextraordinary looks. I have 3 plants . The oldest is 4 years and I have it in a stone planter that is too small for a ten foot tree.Crowed next to a big bouganvillea.-- who knows--maybe she likes it that way. She blooms about six times a year-- when shes in the mood. I figure that if I have several plants in different places, I can always have one in bloom, because each will have different conditions. one of the newer plants seems to have those shoots coming up at the base,but wood is bare. This is an issue with sweet almond --I want it to be a small tree with a main trunk. and several main branches starting about 5 feet up.I must be vigilant about pinching or scraping errant shoots out so that it doesn't become a multi-stemmed shrub.. My home is slightly warmer than yours, but she is so undemanding, I am trying to propagate twigs now--so I can give a plant to everyone because everyone needs that delicious fragrance in their life Like johnny appleseeed planting apple trees everywhere

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

"Austinrosie Sweet Almond rooter" -- a worthy crusade we should all emulate and turn Texas into the state with the best fragrance..