Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graceland_gw

Need a small shrub or large perennial recommendation

graceland
13 years ago

I planted shrubs along the fence on both sides of our house when we moved in years ago so that I wouldn't be seeing fence pickets when I look out the windows.

I alternated a gold leaf abelia with loropetalums (aka Chinese fringeflower) - a pretty combo but the loropetalums are really too big for the space & my DH is tired of pruning them back so he wants me to give them a different home.

Can anyone recommend a small shrub or large perennial for the hot & humid zone 9 Houston area? It needs to be part shade or maybe it would count as part sun - these areas only get sun during the hottest part of the day when the sun is high overhead (~11am to 2pm during summer) because it is inbetween 2-story houses.

I would love to find something ~3ft tall that has purple leaves like the loropetalums but smaller, but at least something that can add some kind of fairly constant color besides green to the area for a nice window view.

(I have seen a dwarf form of loropetalum online called Purple Pixie, but have not noticed it anywhere yet in our NW Houston area - has anyone seen it or does anyone own it? Or a somewhat larger but still small variety called Purple Diamond?)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County