Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doctorclu

Yellow Flowering, bulb based weed

DoctorClu
10 years ago

I've had fun cultivating my front lawn to be a lawn of short weeds that don't grow high so I don't have to mow as often. :) In my weeding I came across this one that had this segmented round base, and other ones like it had a yellow flower. Any idea what this is?

While this is the one I am most interested in I have a whole bunch of Texas plants and weeds I'd like to get to know that I posted on my facebook if some of you are up for a challenge. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152109871318651&set=a.10152109871028651.1073741843.513018650&type=3&theater

Here is a link that might be useful: Name These Texas Plants/Weeds Challenge

Comments (4)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

My guess is some type of Oenothera triloba.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

If you would collect seed later., I would not mind some. I would love some if you would like to trade. By summers end I should have other Oenotheras. I , too, love to garden with weeds.

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Looks like Oenothera to me, also. Check that bud in the evening--it will open to a beautiful yellow "primrose". Fine plant for native gardens. If you save it, dig deep--it's got a taproot.

• lucas_tx_gw
    10 years ago

I don't have a facebook account but can see your photos on the site. If you can post them here so people can comment without having to go back and forth it will help.

The Oenothera triloba has been ID'd. It's native and supports all the nocturnal moths, I'd leave it alone.

The big thistle like thing you don't like is probably a non native thistle of the Sonchus genus.

The low thing with the purple flowers is Sherardia arvensis, common name Sherardia, non native.

The low thing you said you like because you don't have to mow it appears to be a plantain, some are native some are introduced.

The one you call a dandelion does seem to be a member of the genus Taraxucum.

Your "fern" is something in carrot family probably Torilis arvensis.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus