Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessymrn

Anyone know what flower this is?

jessymrn
11 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. New to gardening and new to this site. We moved into our new home and it is filled with different types of plants, flowers, trees most of which I can't identify.

If any of you know what this is, let me know. Pictured...I found that the yellow flower is actually a weed. Need to know what the red and white flower is.

Comments (8)

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

It's a hippeastrum (aka amaryllis). I don't know the variety. The one called "hardy amaryllis" is H. johnsonii...the way I can tell mine is that the leaves are kind of reddish...

This post was edited by barkingdogwoods on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 6:57

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Very pretty...............and my daughter, who lives in Austin, has them blooming already. Mine bloom later here in North Texas.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

That sure is a pretty weed also, love your Amaryllis, very nice display of color.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

It is a Miranda Amaryllis. Barbra

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Jessy, they are beautiful. I think they are the very common Hippeastrum 'Minerva'.

Carol in Jacksonville

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I meant to say Minerva, sorry, The three common ones are Red Lion, Apple Blossom, and Minerva. I buy them after Christmas when they mark them down 75%. Barbra

• jessymrn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much for your replies! Really appreciate it. Carrie, I'm about 2 hours south of Austin so yes they are blooming here too. I've got three in the backyard and just planted two more in the front.

• inferiordecorator
    11 years ago

The "weed" is Esparanza aka yellow bells

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center

This post was edited by inferiordecorator on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 3:51

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting