Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know what flower this is?

Posted by jessymrn 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 2:40

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. New to gardening and new to this site. We moved into our new home and it is filled with different types of plants, flowers, trees most of which I can't identify.

If any of you know what this is, let me know. Pictured...I found that the yellow flower is actually a weed. Need to know what the red and white flower is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know what flower this is?

It's a hippeastrum (aka amaryllis). I don't know the variety. The one called "hardy amaryllis" is H. johnsonii...the way I can tell mine is that the leaves are kind of reddish...

This post was edited by barkingdogwoods on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 6:57

o

Very pretty...............and my daughter, who lives in Austin, has them blooming already. Mine bloom later here in North Texas.

o

That sure is a pretty weed also, love your Amaryllis, very nice display of color.

o

It is a Miranda Amaryllis. Barbra

o

Jessy, they are beautiful. I think they are the very common Hippeastrum 'Minerva'.

Carol in Jacksonville

o

I meant to say Minerva, sorry, The three common ones are Red Lion, Apple Blossom, and Minerva. I buy them after Christmas when they mark them down 75%. Barbra

o

Thank you all so much for your replies! Really appreciate it. Carrie, I'm about 2 hours south of Austin so yes they are blooming here too. I've got three in the backyard and just planted two more in the front.

o

The "weed" is Esparanza aka yellow bells

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center

This post was edited by inferiordecorator on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 3:51

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here