Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

Heavy flowering plant....

patty_cakes
10 years ago

Is there anything like Lantana or Verbena that flowers profusely in the sun, but is more than a low grower or ground cover? I need something to use between large bushes and trees, a large-ish flowering plant, smaller shrub, something colorful. Everything is just too green, in a good way, but color would be appreciated. TIA

Comments (15)

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

Calylophus?, Esperanza?

Omar

• gardenper
    10 years ago

Maybe petunias or similar?

If things are too green for you, then probably variegated plants or plants favored for their leaves (which then tend to be various colors) might be good.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

There are many salvias that would work in an area such as you describe.

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

There are mounding (vs trailing) lantana cultivars, like 'Miss Huff', that should make 4 to 6 ft of height.

Turk's cap (Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii) can grow in shade or full sun, though may gt leaf burn without some late afternoon shade depending upon where you are in the state. A die-back shrub in north Texas, but our mature ones return to about 6 ft by July and bloom until frost. They're humming bird magnets.

Agree the Esperanzas (Tecoma Stans) are great, but may perform as annuals if you're north of zone 8b.

Some hardy hibiscus, like Texas Star (Hibiscus coccineus), can bloom over several months; they often die back, but can still make 4ft+ in a season once mature.

The autumn sages (Salvia greggii) can flower in full sun most of the summer, though intensity and stature seems to vary a bit by cultivar. One of our white plants is at 4 ft, but the red and purple ones seem better in the 2 to 3 ft range after trimming to keep them full.

Flame acanthus (Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii) returns slowly in the spring, but flowers from mid-summer to frost in full sun. Grows in the 3 to 5 ft range.

There are several new abelia cultivars that stay well below 6ft and have colorful foliage in addition to the long blooming white or pink flowers. Saw "Twist of Lime" for the first time at a local nursery a couple weeks ago.

Brazilian rock rose (Pavonia lasiopetala) is another 3 to 4 ft plant that blooms throughout the summer in full sun with little water. Does require some trimming to keep tidy and will seed out a lot where conditions are right, but volunteers are not too hard to eliminate.

Altheas (Hibiscus syriacus) and dwarf crape myrtles are other long blooming 4ft+ options that do well in many parts of the state.

Here is a link that might be useful: Autumn Sage: Salvia greggii

• paradisecircus
    10 years ago

Last summer I really enjoyed Angelonia. I had 2 different kinds, Serena and Archangel. Archangel might work for what you're looking for. Mine grew to about 2.5 feet, thin, light green leaves and striped purple and white flowers. I loved it! It would get a little droopy in the 100 degree heat but thrived in the sun and during the rest of the summer and fall, it bloomed beautifully. The flower stalks also make nice cut flowers in a bud vase, too. Taking cuttings regularly seemed to encourage it to bloom.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Fanick's phlox and related cultivars like Summer phlox and First Lady phlox do it for me!

Ditto bouganvilleas in pots, but they have to be brought into garage or greenhouse during winter. If bougies are planted in the ground they get huge.

Both plants bloom profusely all summer. If you snap off the old bloom stalks on the phlox the stem will put out more blooms just below.

• Lynn Marie
    10 years ago

How about something like Wandering Jew for ground cover? It isn't green.

• tx_ag_95
    10 years ago

Wandering Jew can be green, mine varies, but it is VERY invasive. I have mine in a contained area and it's looking for ways to get into the rest of the yard. Granted, it took it a few years to get to this stage, but once it gets established it just takes off. That said, I love it for the space I have it in.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I hadn't heard of many of them, so needed to look them up. I think my favorite might be the Angelonia. At first I was thinking it might be Angels Trumpet, a very unusual flower my DD had in her garden in San Diego. It's definitely not the same thing, and in the Tx heat wouldn't stand a chance.

Hopefully will be going to the nursery if the rain stays away over the weekend. I got the itch to do some planting! ;)

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Wrong, pattycakes, Angel Trumpet is brugmansia and I grow them in North Texas, though most of them in dappled, not full, sun. That does bring up another possibility though............datura..............it loves the sun and blooms all summer and fall.

This post was edited by carrie751 on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 8:37

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

I like Mexican Firebush...great foliage and hummers love it. I'm not sure if you are looking for a low grower or something that isn't a low grower. Firebush is NOT small. But there are dwarf abelias with interesting foliage like kaleidoscope. I have them in chilli pepper red pots. I just planted dwarf buddleias. Are roses an option? I'm thinking of Martha Gonzales now because she has dark foliage, is really tough and doesn't get too big. Will post a photo of her on my fence.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

If the color works for whoever might want one, there is a dwarf Mexican firebush that's 'supposed' to average 3 ft. x 3 ft.. I bought it off of Lowes sale table last year. The leaves are smaller than my regular one so I'm hoping it stays small. I may be able to let y'all know by summer's end.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf Mexican firebush

• beachplant
    10 years ago

I hope that does stay dwarf, the firebush in the front yard just gets way too big and I chop it down constantly. To make it worse it sends up suckers everywhere.

Turks cap grows in full sun here with no problem but can get as big as a house if allowed, there is a variegated. Pink, white and red, scrambler or bush types are available. Take cuttings from an established plant to know what you are getting. The native is smaller but a low grower and does well in shade.

crimums are great for most of Texas, purple, dark green, variegated leaves, spidery white flowers, pink trumpet flowers, there is such a range and they are pretty much carefree, hard to find, and usually expensive in nurseries, you`ll find them at swaps.

another option is a pepper plant, they bloom heavily, get peppers and tolerate heat and full sun.

Tally Ho!

• nate82
    10 years ago

Salvias like greggii and may night salvia are great. Both take the heat and full sun. Both bloom like crazy, and respond well to being clipped back. They are the first for me to bloom and last to stop blooming.

• nate82
    10 years ago

Blue mist flower is awesome if you don't mind it spreading. Barbados cherry has interesting blooms, and for me has been tuff. It lost its leaves during the freeze (I forgot to cover it up), but now has fully leafed back out and chugging along.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting