Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houstontexas123

local mango trees

houstontexas123
13 years ago

i'm looking to buy 2 mango trees. would like to buy locally if possible.

called a few nurseries around Houston area, no luck.

anyone know of a nursery in Texas that sells mango trees?

Comments (22)

• julia42
    13 years ago

Joseph's Nursery in Pearland has a lot of them, and several different varieties. I think the 3 gallons were $35. I was at Caldwell's Nursery in Rosenburg yesterday and they had a couple of plants too, but not nearly as many as Joseph's.

• texasflip
    13 years ago

A lot of nurseries carry them now, including the chains and big-box stores. They might start getting them in a little later.

• houstontexas123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

cool, ty

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    13 years ago

I was at The Arbor Gate in Tomball yesterday, and they had several varieties of mango trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Arbor Gate

• charleslou23
    13 years ago

if you're in sw side, try here, headquarter of tropical fruit trees:

ttp://www.jrnnursery2.com/

• houstontexas123
    Original Author
    13 years ago

went over to Joseph's down in Pearland after lunch in Chinatown. the place is huge. took a quick stroll. nice plants.

they had quite a few 10 gallon mangos, about 5-6' tall, about an inch thick.

for their 3 gallon mangos, they had Glenn, Nam Doc Mai, Lancetilla, and Mallika. I bought the first three.

the Lancetilla's and Mallika's were the largest of the 3 gal sizes. about 3/4" thick above the graft and most of them have been pugged at around 25-30" tall. nice size for potted mangoes.

the Glenns and NDMs were a bit smaller, about 1/3"-1/2" thick and approx 20-25" tall.

Glenn (new growth sprouting at the top), Lancetilla (two long horizontal branches), Nam Doc Mai (a few small angled branches at the top)

• charleslou23
    12 years ago

houtx123, these are about 30, 35 bucks each?

• ntt_hou
    12 years ago

Yeah, I know what you mean about Joseph's size. The one time I was there, they drove me around in a golf cart.

After the past 2 winters in Houston, I'm shunning away from tropical and subtropical fruit trees. They're expensive investments for me. Yikes!

Your mango trees are small. How long would it takes for them to fruit? Did they say?

• houstontexas123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

$35 each for the 3 gal size, and $80 for the 10 gal size.

last two winters i've moved my plants in and out of the house quite a bit. lost 2 of my plumeria's, but they were the red noid cuttings we got at the ABC stores in Waikiki.

a few of their 3 gal mango trees were already flowering. i'm thinking mine will bloom next year. but i probably wont let them fruit. hopefully they'll be big enough in two years to support the weight of a few fruit.

• ntt_hou
    12 years ago

Yes, I lost my plumeria too :(

Please post the mango trees when they flower and again when they fruit. I'd love to see their progress since I'm not brave enough to grow them :o) Thanks.

• julia42
    12 years ago

When I went by Joseph's (a few days before the original post) they had one 3 gallon mango that had a handful of fruit set on it.

• emperorlychee
    12 years ago

do you know if they have any in(near) Austin texas
    regards,
    patricio

• charleslou23
    12 years ago

houtx123, how are your mangos doing?

• houstontexas123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

they grew a lot during the summer, the NDM bloomed twice in the fall. they're in the patio along with a bunch of my other plants, can't really get a good photo of them atm. will try to move them back out into the yard in March and get a photo then.

• houstontexas123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well, did a little yard work, took a few pics. not great pics lol

• craze4mango_tx
    10 years ago

Houtx123: nice mango trees you have there! Did you change to a bigger pot on all of them or not? I had obtained a carrie mango earlier in the year but it died on me and im not sure if it got rootbound in its original 3 gal nursery container or what... im to the point where im thinking maybe a type of fungus from my nearby oak trees may have been the culprits...now I have a cogshall Ibought down in the valley and I m trying to keep it healthy...

• craze4mango_tx
    10 years ago

Houtx123: nice mango trees you have there! Did you change to a bigger pot on all of them or not? I had obtained a carrie mango earlier in the year but it died on me and im not sure if it got rootbound in its original 3 gal nursery container or what... im to the point where im thinking maybe a type of fungus from my nearby oak trees may have been the culprits...now I have a cogshall I bought down in the valley and I m trying to keep it healthy...

• lavernialadybug
    10 years ago

I have 2 mangos that are over 6' tall and 1 that is 5' plus 4 that I've grown this year that are 24-36". Finally found out the trick of taking the seed (which looks like a large bean) out of the pod then laying it on it's side and planting it just under the soil, Love growing things from seeds. I've started a lot of plumeria's from seeds now, too.

• jdioqs
    9 years ago

Would anybody show how their mango trees are doing so far? I'm thinking of buying one but wants to see if there are successful ones that are actually fruiting. Thanks.

• houstontexas123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

my Glenn died last winter, the NDM died this winter. Lancetilla suffered a lot of damage, had to cut most of it down, growing back now.

• craze4mango_tx
    9 years ago

Hey jdiogs, check out mangobaby's pics under the blog "mango in houston tx"...he has fruiting mango trees ON THE GROUND up in cypress--of all places...! Check out his post on protecting mangos in winter. Very useful!

• mangobaby
    9 years ago

Houstonttexas123 - sorry to hear about your NDM and Glenn . Did you protect them this year? I have also lost several mango trees. So far - some due to silly mistakes. So far I have lost Lancetilla, Carrie,and Glenn .

Jdiogs - the pic is of Namdocmai from 2 months ago. It is 8ft tall and 9-10ft wide.