Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plantation shutters on outside patio.....

Posted by patty_cakes (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 4:31

Crazy idea or not? I don't want screens because I want more privacy than screens offer. I like to spend my summer evenings on the patio, a lot of times by myself. I also want to create the look of an outdoor room, not a screened in patio. I know we have winds here in Texas, but I know they're not hurricane force winds. The shutters themselves would be stationary, except panels for access to the back yard. Louvers could also be equipped with some sort of mechanism to keep them tightly shut so they don't rattle when winds are more intense. My interior shutters get a ton of sun, and that doesn't seem to be a problem~paint is oil base. And yes, rain is another factor, but wood shutters have been used on the exterior of houses for years. My 2 indoor kitties would also appreciate the fresh air~there's no way either one could get thru the louvers!

So, good idea or not? Pros/cons? Here's a link of what it would look like, but don't think these are stationary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shutters

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plantation shutters on outside patio.....

I love the look! The only cons that I can think of would be the blocking of those sweet breezes when it's still 94 at 10 pm and the cleaning of all those little louvers.

All that being said, it makes a wonderful privacy screen!

o

pkponder, thank you for taking a peek! It is pretty isn't it? The louvers are 2 1/2-3" and I would just spray them down with a hose, maybe even attach the window cleaning stuff to the hose for extra cleaning. I'm ADD with my house so don't see cleaning as that big a problem. I'll be having someone come out this week. ;o)

o

I'd like to see what yours look like once you get it done.

o

I think they would look lovely and VERY romantic! Great idea. And if they are placed where you can hose them down that should take care of the cleaning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here