Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone fertilize their in-ground cactus?

Posted by pkponder 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 6:32

We built a cactus garden a couple of years ago and it contains a mix of native prickly and barrel cactus (thank you Kylie!), red yucca, mexican feather grass and manfreda (thank you Ragna!). They are beginning to bloom and since that area is largely not watered and never fed, I'm wondering if it could use a boost?

TIA,
Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone fertilize their in-ground cactus?

Maybe, but.....prickly pear typically grows where there's not a lot of "food", at least I've seen more than one person say to get rid of it by amending the soil. I'd think the best thing for them would be to replicate their native conditions, which wouldn't get much added nutrients. They probably would benefit more from a bit extra of water when we go without rain for the winter. I'd think the barrel cactus would be the same, but I'm not sure about the rest. From my experience, cacti in the ground benefit best from benign neglect!

o
RE: Does anyone fertilize their in-ground cactus?

Thanks! That's pretty much what I figured ;-) I don't want to kill them with kindness.

Pam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here