Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msenna_gw

Bottle Brush Planting Problem Help

msenna
9 years ago

We are new to gardening and we bought several of these large 5'-6' bottlebrush plants. We planted them a couple of weeks ago and they are appear to be doing not so good. I read that overwatering could be the case. We have a sprinkler system in this bed that comes on for 10 minutes about 5 times per week and I have watered it with the hose once per week. Also the bed was a lot of clay but a dug a hole a little bigger than the plant and filled the remainder with potting soil. Any help would be greatly appreciated to save these trees. Thanks.

Comments (8)

• acalta
    9 years ago

I don't grow bottle brush, but it definitely sounds like it could be a drainage/water issue. It would have been advisable to really break up the ground, and ammend your clay with some garden soil/compost first. Then dig a very large hole for your bush and loosely back fill. It sounds like your plant might be getting choked out.

Where are you in texas that you can run sprinklers 5 times a week? What are the sprinklers watering? I would definitely cut back-especially during spring when we get so much rain.

• whitecap
    9 years ago

If they've only been in the ground a couple of weeks, I would just pull one out and examine the roots. Did you spread them out well before planting? If they were "root bound," they may not be able to absorb sufficient water from these light applications.

• whitecap
    9 years ago

Actually, if those plants are getting a lot of sun, they probably need a deep, thorough watering every other day, for the next few weeks. Seems unlikely to me that severe root rot could have developed this quickly.

• msenna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When you say deep watering what does that exactly mean? Thanks for the responses.

• whitecap
    9 years ago

Were the roots compacted? That would compromise their ability to absorb water. I'd give them a good couple of gallons every other day, slowly.

• carrie751
    9 years ago

Deep watering to me means a fast drip from your hose for a long period of time. This allows ALL the water to soak in as in a slow rain.

• beachplant
    9 years ago

You more or less dug out a bowl and they are just sitting in it. Get a shovel or spade and just dig up the soil around the hole, you want to loosen it up. Turn off the sprinkler and use the hose, water it for about 30 minutes, at a low rate, that will allow the water to seep into all the cracks and crannies and get some water to the roots. Depending on the weather 2-4 times per week will be needed, stick your finger down in the soil and if it feels dry, water, if it is wet, leave it alone.
    They almost always pout a bit when you transplant them, especially with our weird weather.
    Good luck!
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    9 years ago

I have mine in full sun, good drainage(sand) , very little water. I have a sprinkler system that goes off every other day, but during the winter months, have it turned off. I put the sprinkler system back on in March. Mine are trimmed into trees. Right now they are in full boom."BEAUTIFUL'' Hummiingbirds love them.! I would trim them right now, be sure not to take off more than 1/3 off the plant. Barbra

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists