Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this prickly weed?

Posted by ccox z8 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 9:36

Good morning all,
I have spent hours trying to ID this horrible weed in my pasture and growing along every fenceline in Hays Co.
It starts out looking harmless. A cluster of leaves about 4 inches long, rounded ends, slightly serrated edges, and soft grayish green. It then puts on a flower stalk that can be anywhere from 8 to 18 inches long. It puts on a "flower head" that reminds me of a thistle. It then "blooms" with no color and no petals---just horrible tiny spines. It's no bigger than a woman's pinky finger nail. Nothing eats it, not even deer. I've attached a photo of the "bloom". You'll need to double click on it to see it up close. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prickly Weed ID?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this prickly weed?

Looks like sand burr, a member of the Cenchrus genus. Here's some info:
http://www.weedalert.com/weed_pages/wa_sandbur.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandbur

o

• Posted by ccox z8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 12:46

I wish it were a sandburr, as I know how to combat those. I'll take some better pictures of the plant and not just the 'flower'.

o
RE: What is this prickly weed?--more pictures

• Posted by ccox z8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 14:48

Hello,
I've added some more pictures. Remember to double click to enlarge them.

Here is a link that might be useful: More weed pictures

o

Pyrrhopappus carolinianus? Does it bear a yellow flower like the one shown in the link?

Have you tried a generic broad-leaf herbicide?

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: Pyrrhoppapus

o

I had it at a different house. It is of the thistle family, I think. Nasty little bugger.

o

Yellow star thistle or Centaurea solstitialis
http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/plants/yellowstar.shtml
http://www.understanding-horse-nutrition.com/yellow-starthistle.html
BAD invasive. It will out compete and it is nasty. I am fighting it on my property. This is the first year that i have seen it. And I had a 50 ' patch of it in my front field. It is really bad for horses

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Star Thistle

o

That's been out here for years, mostly along the roads, but some property owners have it in other parts of their property also. I pull up the ones on my part of the road, but they come back from the many many seeds. At least I've kept it off the rest of the place by pulling the road plants.

o

Usually I find one or two of them every third year. But boy did they pop up this year, but every invasive is having a ball this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here