Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best border plants for summer heat

Posted by mimi6859 tx zone 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 9:52

I leave in Austin area and need a good border plant for my beds. I prefer a smaller type. And red in color.
I was really interested in the red diathius but a garden guy at the nursery says it is a spring plant, and should not be blooming very much longer. I see them all around as borders and bedding plants in subdivision beds. Any advice? They will receive, sun to partial sun, and low to medium water.
Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best border plants for summer heat

I love dianthus, & in my experience, they bloom on & off until frost.

o

My personal favorite is Barberry Pygmy. They do however have thorns...We only prune them 1 time a year in the early spring...we had them as a border plant with the west sun on them...did not seem to bother them...min water still...lots of luck...

o

If your sun is morning sun, Dianthus should work there. They do slow down in mid-summer, start blooming again in the fall and pretty much bloom all winter unless we have a freeze. Mine came through the freeze and are blooming again now. Some of them will die out if they get too hot.

Verbena would work well there too and can take more sun. They are annuals and will need to be replaced each year.

o

My verbenas are not annuals. I have a couple I have had for several year and they are blooming right now. I bought a couple of hanging baskets at a discount last year, and ended up relocating the plants to inground. They had verbena in them and both came back strong even after the terrible winter we had. I love Homestead verbena, and it is a perennial.

o

There are some lantanas that are redish, bagonias also, salvia gregiis, salvia coccinias hybrids. Some stay smallish, "Lady in red".

o

Carrie - Thanks for the tip on verbena. Mine seem to die out over the winter, but it may be that I don't expect them to return and pull them too soon. I'll be more patient and see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here