Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viburnum anyone?

Posted by remuda1 7b Hood Co TX (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 10:50

I've had this viburnum in the ground for three years now. It gets full sun, is well mulched and is about four feet tall now. Grasshoppers have really worked it over in the past. But it looks like its doing well this year. I've never had a bloom on it and don't see any signs of buds now.

Do any of you have viburnums that bloom reliably? if so, can you tell me your experiences with them? Thanks in advance and have a great day :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viburnum anyone?

I have a virburnum burkwoodii, Kristi, that was given me as a small seedling. It has grown to about five feet tall in two years and bloomed beautifully this year. It gets only about six hours of sun each, and I didn't know when I placed it in this location if it would do well or not, but it seems to be very happy and has rewarded me with very fragrant blooms.

o

I have a double file viburnum. It grows but has never bloomed. Sure wish it would.

Kathy

o

I have a Suspensum viburnum. It's not grown for the flowers, but does bloom in the spring. However, it was about four or five years after planting from a five gal. pot before it bloomed.

o

Thank you all, I called the nursery owner where I got the viburnum and she said it is a viburnum Tinus (Spring Bouquet) I told her about the trouble I've had with the grasshoppers and she said that chances are the hoppers ate off all of the buds in the fall. Hopefully, now that it's getting some good growth on it, they won't be able to do so much damage to it. I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway :).

o

I have several viburnum - Burkwood, leather-leaf, spring bouquet, Snowball, etc., plus a bunch of native Rusty Blackhaw Viburnum. Most but not all of them have bloomed for me. All are in part-sun conditions (as that's what I have).

The only ones I get good fruit production from are the Rusty Blackhaw Viburnum, as it's the only one with non-clones blooming at the same time.

o

I have Viburnum obovatum (Walter's viburnum), which is a little leaf viburnum. I planted it last spring, then moved it last fall, and it still had several blooms earlier this spring.
Jim

o

***and it still had several blooms earlier this spring.***

Well, that's because you know magic, Jim!

o

Kristi, it's probably because I don't have grasshoppers!

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here