Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trailing plants for retaining wall.

Posted by JParadise81 North Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 10:56

I have 60' of retaining wall that I would like to be covered with a trailing vine or plant. The wall gets full sun and I must plant at the top, hence the need for a cascading or trailing vine/plant. I have a soaker hose running along there so water isnt an issue. I would prefer something perennial that flowers. I have purple winter creeper on the top of it, but its not trailing down the sides like I had joped. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trailing plants for retaining wall.

Until you find the perfect vine, or until the perfect perennial vine fills in you could plant some sweet potato vine for this summer. Its really cheap and easy to find.

How tall is this wall? How far (down) do you want the trailing to go?

o

Creeping wire vine (Muehlenbeckia) will give you the effect you are looking for. I have some in a container going on 4 years, and it trails over the sides nicely. I have it in morning sun. What I don't know for sure is, if your sun situation would be too much for it. It is supposed to be marginally hardy here, (some sites list it as an annual) but so far mine has done well through DFW winters. 60' is a pretty long retaining wall. To keep anything from looking too blah, it might be a good idea to have several plants/vines at different parts along the wall to provide more interest. Depends on if it is a visible area or more of a background where blah would be fine as long as it's reliable and low maintenance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creeping wire vine

o

The wall tapers from about 7' at the right side to ground level at the left side. It is basically one whole side of my backyard so I dont want it to be too blah. I'll look into the creeping wire vine, thanks. I'd like the trailing to go to the ground if possible.

o

I love the look of Dichondra (silver pony-foot) trailing over containers and walls. Not sure of cold hardiness. I've seen Plumbago Auriculata beautifully cascading over walls both in full sun and in partial sun. I would consider seeding bluebonnets to grow thru the fall and bloom in the spring before the plumbago returns. Lantanas and blueboonets are also a good combo...one going dormant while the other starts to wake up.
Molly

o

I've got some Wandering Jew that will trail a bit -- so it might be better for the shorter portion of the wall. I just cleared out a bed, and I have several plants that you can have if you'll come pick it up.

~ freshair

o

My choices for this type of spot would be Purple Clematis (Clematis pitcheri) on the tall side transitioning to Winecup (Callirhoe involucrata) as the wall nears the ground.

Ty

o

Freshair - that would be great! Where are you located? You can email me at Justin.paradise@gmail.com. Thanks!

o

Irene rosemary or prostrate rosemary, Ornamental oregano like Kent beauty or any of the others.

o

As Freshair suggests, Wandering Jew (presumably Tradescantia pallida) isn't likely to trail very far. It's quite brittle. I'd be careful handling it, because it can cause skin irritation. I understand that, in times past, it was used to redden the cheeks (in lieu of pinching, I suppose.)

I once planted one of the suggestions, coral honeysuckle, alongside Japanese honeysuckle, and trained both up a trellis to cover the roof of a gazebo. Bonehead idea. When I became concerned that the weight of the vines was going to cause the roof to collapse, I stopped watering it. It didn't take long for the coral honeysuckle to gracefully expire, but its Japanese counterpart didn't even notice. Finally had to take Roundup to it. It's "invasive," of course, but I don't offhand see how it could do much damage in a confined area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here