Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dallasblooms

Impossible plant challenge?

dallasblooms
11 years ago

I've spent hours trying to find a plant that works in these conditions to no avail. Anyone have a suggestion?

Northwest side of white picket fence in one foot space between fence and sidewalk. At edge of canopy pear trees so maybe an hour or two of dappled intense sun mid day, then again late afternoon when the sun goes below the tree canopy (trees are on the west side of the sidewalk, planter on the right next to the fence). Gets plenty of water from soaker hoses.

I'm looking for a non invasive perennial that rabbits won't eat the flowers off of. Currently verbena is the only survivor but hasn't bloomed in years - not enough sun? too many rabbits?. I planted sedum and pinkie dianthus 12 years ago - should I try again? We're talking heat, sun, shade, rabbits, small area, non invasive perennial. Impossible, right?

I'm willing to try once more this year, last ditch effort, please help!

Comments (24)

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

Texas betony, nettle-type leaves should keep the bunnies away.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Betony

• dallasblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Texas Betony looks good except it mentions the mint family - mints are very invasive. Is this one that way?

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

That's not as easy as it seems to answer because the definition of invasive varies quite a lot.

The plant does grow and eventually might need trimmed back or thinned in your location.

• dallasblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well that doesn't sound too bad. My definition of invasive is easily spreads beyond edging or jumps concrete to another planter.

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

It hasn't done that in my yard after nearly two years so that should work. It does get wider and needed to be divided this year.

• whitecap
    11 years ago

I tried Texas Betony, a couple of years ago, in a part-sun location where plumbago and pavonia do well. It seemed to be enjoying itself, but just sprawled too much. So, I yanked it up, went over to the Salvia forum, and made inquiry about the most shade tolerant salvias. The consensus was that Cherry Chief would be my best bet. It has done well--not as compact as I would like, but far more upright than the betony.

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

The height and width on Cherry Chief is 36"-42", Texas Betony is 18" which makes a big difference in a 12 in space.

Betony grows more slowly too. Cherry Chief is a salvia greggii and requires a lot more work to keep in check. I trim and/or divide mine about four times a year and they reseed freely where betony does not.

• ExoticRGVNativesTy
    11 years ago

My pick would be Lyre-leaf Sage. This species is tolerant of sun to shade, drought or irrigation, and sand or clay. The foliage provides good year-round color when it isn't blooming. It is native to the Dallas area and I've seen it growing in parks.

Ty

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady Bird Johnson Wildlfower Center

• dallasblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Looks like the Lyre-leaf sage is a mint too. Guess I have to take my chances with a mint or put down river rocks! LOL

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    11 years ago

If resigned to the mint family, cedar sage (salvia roemeriana) is another to consider for that space.

The Purple Knockout cultivar of Ty's Lyreleaf sage (salvia lyrata) suggestion is a nice purple leafed alternative.

Pigeonberry (rivina humilis) is a non-mint that would probably do well there and can be a beautiful little plant with some great seasonal variety and wildlife benefit. Rabbits left this alone while eating the adjacent frogfruit to its nubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pigeonberry - perfect for shady spots (npsot)

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

I second the cedar sage, it's a good one that stays small and is blooming in almost full shade right now. Very well-behaved plant.

I don't have lyre leaf sage but sounds like a good one too. Most salvias, especially native ones, don't run wild in my garden.

• dallasblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well phooey - it says cedar sage only grows under juniper or cedars and I had to remove my junipers due to disease last year. I know I can buy cedar mulch - will that be good enough? Also it says they don't like to be where large leaves will fall and stunt their growth - I've got a Red Oak close by and if that's not enough, a Little Gem Magnolia right next to the fence and about 15 feet from that two Cottonwood trees with huge leaves! Man, I just can't catch a break. So Pigeonberry?

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Should you decide to go with the Lyre leaf sage, I have a lot of it to share.

• dallasblooms
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate the offer carrie751 but I think I'm going to check out all the suggestions at the store and pick what strikes me in the moment. If it fails at least I had fun picking it out! Thanks for your suggestions, and everyone else too. Happy Gardening!

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

I was surprised when you said Cedar Sage only grew under junipers and cedars because mine is doing very well and no where near them so I looked it up.

What is says is Cedar Sage "has adapted" to grow under junipers and cedars meaning that it will grow under a cedar where few other plants can grow. That also means that It is not meant to grow "only" under a cedar and will grow quite well anywhere in shade and probably do better if it is not under a cedar.

11 years ago

... it says cedar sage only grows under juniper or cedars

That's its natural preference, but seems to do fine as an understory plant elsewhere in cultivation. Broad leaves don't appear to hamper established plants - it's likely the seedlings that have trouble which would help explain why it naturalizes better under juniper/cedar.

Here's one growing under dwarf peach where it gets inundated by peach, red oak, magnolia, and crepe myrtle leaves at different times.

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

I have had very good luck with salvia coccinea, particularly "coral nymph". They bloom for months on end and work well even in narrow spaces and they tolerate anywhere from full sun to part-day sun or dappled shade. salvia coccinea is available in red, white, and pink. Best of all, these salvias are readily available in most nurseries.
    Molly

11 years ago

Salvia coccinea (scarlet sage) will also flower it's first season from seed, which makes it very nice as a quick and inexpensive temporary filler or ground cover in north Texas. Though I've found the generic variety to be marginal as a perennial in Dallas. I get around 60% survival where sheltered/mulched, but less than 40% where exposed. Maybe the improved cultivars are more winter hardy in zone 8?

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

My source on the cedar sage is the Native Plant Database, the definitive source for native plants. Their information is clear and the word "only" does not appear. Any other source would be unreliable at best.

Here is a link that might be useful: NPIN Salvia roemeriana

• mistigardens
    11 years ago

grow what you want , but keep the rabbits away with cayenne pepper, or pepper flakes. we use this all the time with our landscape designs. Soapwort, Sapponaria officianales would be a good ground cover blooming choice and then what ever taller plant you desire!

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

I have this sedum that I got from an elderly neighbor in all sorts of spots. In more sun it flowers, in less sun as in under my Japanese Maple is does not flower. It takes moisture and is mannerly but does multipy,
    c

Here is a link that might be useful: kamtschaticum

• robyn_tx
    11 years ago

A couple thoughts that come to mind are heuchera - there are many pretty hybrids - or caladium. There are so many caladium choices that you could have a riot of color and include some spring flowering bulbs since caladium are a little slow coming up in the spring. A few sedum thrown in and could be a pretty little strip.

Good luck!

• whitecap
    11 years ago

My cedar sage is blooming quite nicely. It has a dirty little secret, though, that its friends don't often share with us: It is cleistogamous. This is a classification, not of my devise, but of botanists. This singular perversity takes the form of concealing its blooms in hot weather. It is as though the buds never fully open, concealed by a sheath of green. If you're looking for color from high summer to frost, you would be better off looking elsewhere. Mine, in part shade, started concealing its blooms before the end of June the last two years. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

• nialialea
    11 years ago

Star jasmine. Mine is planted in similar conditions (and I don't water it) and it is thriving. Not invasive, exactly, but very vigorous. Definitely needs pruning every few years.

This is year three or so and the blooms finally have a great scent. :)