Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crepe Myrtle 'Razzle Dazzle'

Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 11:05

I bought 2 of these Razzle Dazzles a couple of years ago. They barely bloom......are late leafing out - the plants are healthy, but the leaves are small and I dont see much point to them. They sure dont look like the photos - and I dont see them offered anymore. Mine are in full sun in good soil and are properly watered. I am going to move them to pots and put more roses in that bed. Can anyone comment on these crepe myrtles? Thanks.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crepe Myrtle 'Razzle Dazzle'

I feel your frustration. I'm done buying "new cultivars" of plants - especially those that take several years to establish and "show their stuff" No more. If they haven't been on the market at least 5 years and have developed a good reputation, I'll wait. I got a "dwarf" lol! loropetalum 4 years ago and I have to prune it way back every year cause it's NOT dwarf! I've spent so much money on stuff I've had to toss after a couple of years - ahhh - I could be retired by now!

o

Ditto. I bought 3 about 3 years ago. There was an article in Neil Sperry and I could not wait to get them. $16.99 each. Big mistake. I lost one this year, it just never came out. The other two have leafed out but do not look great.
The blooms last year were not impressive at all. Now they are just fillers until I replace them. All plants have become to expensive to experiment with.

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 22:08

Well, I am not surprised - I had a feeling I was not the only one displeased. The leaves, though not unattractive, are very tiny. Mine had a few sporadic blooms last year but certainly nothing like the photos showed! Plus they have gotten bigger than I anticipated. I have a hard time ditching a plant I paid good money for and that is still thriving.....I will just move them to a spot that is not center stage - where they are now. Almost bought a few more - am certainly glad I didnt! They need to go back to the drawing board on this one - instead of Razzle Dazzle, they need to call it Fizzle Drizzle.....

Thanks for replies! If anyone has a photo of this plant in full bloom, like all the hype, I would love to see it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here