Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Influx of Red Admirals!

Posted by pkponder 8 Azle (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 11:10

Oh my goodness! The whole neighborhood is aflutter! They seem to be coming from the oak trees but they are at least 'resting' on every plant in the yard! It's a lovely sight.

The Gulf Frits are busy on the blue passion vine as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Influx of Red Admirals! I took a picture!

Photobucket

o
RE: Influx of Red Admirals!

Yes, we're experiencing a big population explosion of Red Admirals! They're all over my place. They're using Stinging Nettle and a weed called Pennsylvania Pellitory as host plants for their caterpillars on my place. This is the result of all the rain in past months and the milder winter/early spring temps. The adult butterflies nectar on flowers and are fond of old fruit and tree sap.

o

Got a few them at my place too!

o

They've been everywhere for over a week now. Gulf Frits and the brown frits too! A few Monarchs and a variety of others...everwhere!

This has been the most wonderful spring! I hope it lasts until October.

I can hope can't I
c

o

We've had some, too!

o

I have also noticed lots of Red Admirals here around Allen too. The Gulf Fritillaries are also laying eggs on my passionvine - much earlier than last year. I've also seen Pipevine Swallowtails laying eggs on my pipevine already. Lots of little butterflies too!

I remember last year we were asking, "Where are all the butterflies?" And this year we are celebrating their larger populations. It may be a hot summer, but in the butterfly world, it is starting off to be a great season!

o

I've got them too, and they are so thick on my coreopsis! It's fun to walk through and set them all afloat. They land on me and everywhere else.

o

I'm seeing dozens of hummingbird moths too -- in the daytime! Usually only the clear wing hummingbird moths nector in the daytime with the other kinds coming in around dusk.

I'm glad our flying flower "flutter bys" are making such a great comeback :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here