Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucas_tx_gw

The Swap today

lucas_tx_gw
11 years ago

For reasons known only to GardenWeb, I can't post on exchanges, even though I can post here. Go figure.

Anyway, I've decided at the last minute to come to the swap. I don't really need any plants but I have a few things I'd like to share. I have a couple of Baptisia sphearaocarpa (Yellow Wild Indigo), a couple of Mexican Flame Vines, two small Eve's Necklace I grew from seed (Weldon those are earmarked for you if you still want them) and maybe a few other things.

Thanks

Teri

Comments (18)

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Oh, my goodness, Teri ..............looking forward to meeting you, and if Weldon doesn't want both of the Eve's necklace, I would like one.............lost mine a few year's back.

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

Oh, Teri . . . can I have one of the Mexican Flame Vines?
    ~ Amy

• lucas_tx_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes and yes. Looking forward to meeting you all in person!

Teri

• melvalena
    11 years ago

OH BOY OH BOY!!!!

WE get to meet you too today!!!

Melvalena

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Couldn't attend today, went to a family picnic in Corsicana, hope you'll post pictures!

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Yes, I'll try to get the photos my friend Kelly took in the next few days. Several other people had cameras snapping away as well.

I wish you could have been there, but I'm glad to hear you did get out in this great weather.

• lucas_tx_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was quite a lot of fun. I took over the homeless plants I'd listed and vowed not to bring any home as I've been planting like a mad woman all spring but of course that didn't stick. DH just rolled his eyes when he saw them in my car. ;-)

Posted some bloom pics in the galllery, nothing from the swap though.

Teri

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Photos of the swap are up.. check the gallery

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

Melvalena ~

* During one of our conversations at the swap, you recommended I plant one of the plants you gave me in a pot b/c it spreads too much . . . was that the Fall Aster or the Gregg's Mistflower?

* Also, I'm getting varied reports on full height for both, so . . . how high will each of those grow? I'm trying to figure out where they'll fit best in my beds & need a more accurate estimate of their growth.

~ Amy

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Put the gregg's blue mist in a pot, its hardy to zero so should do fine outdoors in our winters. I'm digging all mine out of the beds and potting them in large pots.
    I don't think mine gets much more than 2ft tall. Maybe parts of it does but not the whole plant.
    I have cut it back mid summer and it quickly re grows and blooms.

I'm not sure what to say about the height of the fall aster I think they're about the same? Maybe someone else can give a better answer. I can tell you I moved mine from the front of the bed to back in front of the fence. :) For me both grow wider than they are tall.

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

Gotcha - but what about invasiveness for both?
    ~ Amy

• lucas_tx_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In my experience, the mist flower likes a little more water so doesn't spread as much in a drier area. I think Gail's probably spreads more than mine does which is in black clay with little supplemental water. It does get about 2' tall but is very sprawly, so might cover a wider area but not seem as tall. It has some substance in it that the milkweed butterflies need and in the fall it will be just covered in queens and monarchs, I just love it.

The fall aster will also continually expand itself so give it plenty of room and/or be prepared to dig and divide it pretty frequently. I think it is more drought tolerant and will expand even without as much water as the mist flower. I have that in mainly unamended black clay as well and it does fine.

Hope this helps,

Teri

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

Yes, Teri, that helps. I was trying to determine whether to fit them in with others, but I think I'll try them out in the new area I just cleared.

I've seen the mistflower covered in butterflies at Gail's old house & was absolutely mesmerized . . . looking forward to having that show in my own backyard!

~ Amy

• melvalena
    11 years ago

ya know what.. either of these plants would be perfect for ally beds.
    They spread and spread.. need little water or maintenance.. provide interest and color. What more could you ask for?

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

heyyyyy . . .

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Amy,
    I have enough blue mist to probably fill your ally bed if you're thinking about doing that.

:)

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

Oh, suhweet! Let's give it a try!

• NCpalmqueen
    11 years ago

Can't find that plant anywhere on line. I have agave pups or banana pups to trade.