Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliaaidan_gw

Neighbor's trumpet vine

juliaaidan
11 years ago

I know this subject has been done to death but I have a very crappy neighbor who won't even try to get rid of their trumpet vine growing on their back fence. We live in a housing community where the houses are really close together. His vine has ruined our lawn and killed one of our trees. Now I have a creeper coming up on the side of my house near the foundation. Round Up doesn't work and I have tried boiling water and vinegar to no avail. Is there anything I can do since he won't dig up his vine?

Comments (7)

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Hi Julia, I too have the same problem as you, have been fighting it for years; the only thing I can do is dig it out by the roots, and wait for the next batch. Also have it growing on the side of my house. They do have a product out there for suckers, but haven't tried it yet to see if it will work.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

I used poison ivy/woody vine killer on ours, you might have to spray it a few times. Took about 6 months to finally get rid of it. Good luck!
    Tally Ho!

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

Use a large ziplock bag and stuff as much of the branch as you can into the bag and pour in stump killer and let it drink itself to death. If you have a trunk, drill with an auger a large enough hole to put PVC pipe into the hole and fill with stump killer, be sure to keep it full until it drinks itself to death.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I had a trumpet vine and it just suddenly died one year. It was gorgeous and I have no idea what happened to it, but I didn't try to replace it. And killed all the suckers that came up all around it.

I would think that poison ivy killer would do the trick. Mine sent roots under my shed and they popped up all over the other side.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

I'm puzzled....Roundup didn't work?

Did you try the type with a purple cap?

I painted the leaves on a nasty vine that grows straight up like a brutal rose with no flowers. Woody vines too.

During spring when the vines take off, I took a plastic bowl from carryout and a sponge "brush" I laid the leaves in the bowl and painted them. The die off happened within a week or so. Haven't seen them this year.

Has anyone tried to kill a creeping vine in the midst of say a hedge or other desireable plants like roses? When the vine dies, will its everywhere roots kill what is near them or perhaps intertwines by them?

I've longed to kill off some English ivy but been afraid.

anyone with experience?
    c

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Cynthia, I've read that treating a weed with weed killer will affect the roots of other plants with which it is entwined. However, it they are strong mature plants it probably will not do much damage. Years ago I treated poison ivy with Roundup and it didn't affect the oak trees it was growing on, or any of the other weeds in the vicinity. Why don't you try a small area and see if there is any damage.

The only actual experiment I did was with Grass-B-Gone. I gently dripped the grass killer only in the center of a large clump of winter grass growing in the lawn. I did it VERY carefully since this was done as an experiment. It died, but the St. Augustine turned brown for several inches around the treated clump. The St. Augustine filled back in of course, but it did tell me its roots had been affected.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

thank you Roselee
    you are a wealth of knowledge. I've never tried it for fear that was the case. I'm pulling some blue dawn each day. Know some will make it and that's OK but that mild winter and this vine thinks it's cudzu.

guess it's the old fasion way....pull and pull some more.

c

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner