Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seamommy

Hummers

seamommy
11 years ago

I know it's a little early, but I thought I heard a hummer zing past my head yesterday. I didn't see him, I just heard that distinctive sound of his wings, so I went ahead and set out the feeders. Has anyone else heard or seen them yet?
Cheryl

Comments (33)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I heard one a couple of weeks ago and finally saw him/her just now. I was walking too close to the feeder and got buzzed too!

• Rachel.E
    11 years ago

We are about an hour east of Waco, and we have had our feeder up for about a week and a half. We had our first hummer yesterday! It came twice yesterday, and we saw it once today at the feeder. Ours is hanging in a tree right outside our dining room window, so we watch during all of our meals! My kids think it is terribly exciting. (We homeschool, so we are always watching for our birds.)

We also have a pair of Eastern Bluebirds nesting in the knot of an old tree in our backyard, and seeing them zip in and out of their tree hole is the highlight of every meal!

• eahamel
    11 years ago

I'm in Houston and yesterday one visited an asclepias right beside me.

• inferiordecorator
    11 years ago

I was able to catch this just a few days ago.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I love the sphinx moths! Nice picture inferiordecorator!

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Think that is the first pic I have seen anyone post of the moth.............they are so cute.

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Its not too early! I set out my feeders on St Patrick's Day because they had been sighted about 2 hours south of me by then.

Saw my first one, March 27th. see the thread below

I haven't seen another one since, until yesterday afternoon when I caught a glimpse/flash of one out the kitchen window.

I believe these early ones are males on their way north. The females and rest of the herd will be here shortly. :)

Mother Nature has everything ready for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: earlier hummer thread

• loreleicomal
    11 years ago

our hummers in the San Antonio area always come around Mar. 15. I put out my feeder on Mar. 10 this year and saw my first one the very next day.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

one last week and today there were at least 5 on the orange peel cestrum!
    Tally HO!

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

We've had them at the feeders in San Antonio for about two weeks. They are a little cold and wet today so don't know how fast they'll head north.

• houstontexas123
    11 years ago

i saw a female RT about2 weeks ago, and now i have a male RT for the past few days.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

I have my feeder up but haven't spotted a one yet. Anyone in DFW with hummers? c

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Melvanena, Seamommy and I are all in the metroplex, Cynthia :-)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

oops, double post

This post was edited by pkponder on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 4:05

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I have only "heard" them..............haven't spotted one of the little critters as yet. It is 37 degrees at my house this morning so they are probably trying to stay warm.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Finally !! Came right up to the window, looked in and then buzzed off to the feeder and flowers.

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Carrie yours do the same thing as mine do.
    They come to say hello and let you know they are there.

Then off they go about their business. :)

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

My feeder is now empty....still waiting for a greeting! I'll refill and put up 2 so the sugar bandit and any hummers get to eat. I do have 11 giant swallowtail cats in my... I mean their fennel c

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    11 years ago

No hummingbirds yet, but this interesting imposter was moving among the autumn sage this morning. Am guessing it was a white-lined sphinx moth, right?

• melvalena
    11 years ago

OHHH. I used to see them at my house in Coppell. Haven't seen one lately.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I think seeing white lined sphinx moths hovering around the garden at dusk is pure magic. The caterpillars of this moth eat:

Willow weed (Epilobium)
    Four o'clock (Mirabilis jalapa)
    Apple (Malus)
    Evening primrose (Oenothera)
    Elm (Ulmus)
    Grape (Vitis)
    Tomato (Lycopersicon)
    Purslane (Portulaca)
    Fuchsia

Forgive me for getting off the original subject of hummingbirds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lots of videos of it here ....

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I digress also, but we had a huge flock of unidentified sphinx moths last night nectaring on the ajuga blooms! Not sure if I just never noticed them before now or there is just an abundance this year. There were literally dozens right at dusk.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

I believe that's the moths that hovering over this dianthus @ Clark Gardens. Lots of them.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I have had quite a few this year as well.........on my ajuga and Louisiana phlox especially have I noticed them.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

Finally spotted a hummer on Monday! I love the Sphinx moths they love Moon Flowers! I take those tomato worms over to the datura and they happily eat and later enjoy the nectar. The striped sphinx moth looks just like a tomate worm only it has orange spots rather than silvery stripes on the sides.

• mistigardens
    11 years ago

Yes..I too heard the unmistakable sound of hummers in the garden. Saw them as well, so it's a positive. Then after an afternoon of gardening with a screen door with holes in it I also heard the unmistakable sound of June bugs in April.
    Gotta take the good with the bad. sigh

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

Yippee!!!

Not only did *two* of them zip past me, I got to see a male hummer doing his dive-bomb mating thing.

It lasted for a minute or two . . . he zoomed out to the edge of my yard and about 20ft high, then dove down into a shrub near the center at about 3ft height, then zoomed back up to 20ft on the other side of the yard. Kinda like a skinny figure-8 with the x dipping down to 3ft and the loops up at 20ft. He made at least 4 full circuits.

A PBS show we watched several months ago showed that they make a friction chirp with their wings near the bottom of the dive. My next-door neighbors were mowing, so I couldn't hear it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home video of a male's courtship chirp

• melvalena
    11 years ago

You got the feeders cleaned and ready?

I'm glad to hear my hummers are still hanging around the old neighborhood!

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

I set them up this afternoon after watching The Dating Game in the front yard.

Your old backyard neighbor has like 5-8 hanging under his patio arbor, but I don't know whether he gets any visitors.

I had hoped to develop a garden full of hummer-friendly plants by now, but the past 2 summers and my back troubles haven't helped. The plants are there, but not as vigorous as they might be under someone else's care.

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Right now there's plenty for them out in the landscape but as the spring blooms die off, they'll need the syrup to keep them going raising those babies!

The old back yard neighbors didn't used to hang feeders... she said all they got were wasps. She always hung them on the west side.. maybe she figured out that wasn't the best place for those feeders?

Its no fun having your yard plans stall out on ya.
    Eventually it does come together, just never as fast as you think it should!

I'm trying to do a little something outside every day...just one little something. When I have time and energy I do more.

Eventually it will all get done.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

I filled and hung two feeders this weekend.
    Now just waiting impatiently for the hummers.

• ruthz
    11 years ago

I was watching a Sulphur Butterfly on my Hot Lips Salvia
    and happened to see my first hummer on the feeder. Yea, I have hummers.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Good for you, Ruth...................enjoy !!!!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations