Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What weed is this

Posted by bluehaven (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 12:03

This weed which looks like grass is overtaking my bermuda lawn. What is it & how to get rid of it? Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What weed is this

That's annual winter rye grass (or something like that). It will die when it gets hot, but it will be back next winter unless you put out a pre-emergent in the fall. Nothing you can really do now.

o

Yes, that's what it looks like to me too. Applying pre-emergents in the fall help a lot. Plus if you have the time and energy you can pull it before it goes to seed. Seeds from the neighbors might still blow in so I go on the search early in the year and pull every little sprout.

o

Will Weed B Gone help? We did put in a pre-emergent in feb this year.

o

Pre-emergents help, but it's difficult to catch every seed. Plus application timing is critical. Some of the seeds may have germinated by Feb.

Weed-b-gone is a broad leaf weed killer and won't work on grasses. There is a Grass-b-gone that does a good job of killing grass, but it will also kill Burmuda grass. In fact, it's great for killing Burmuda grass! If you apply it very carefully to only the weed grass it will just kill a small patch of Burmuda grass around the weed grass, but if you're going to get down that close you may as well just pull it.

I know it's not easy and it's takes some time, but it's the only way I know of at this point. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here