Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasbanzai

Newly planted Bottlebrush Tree leaves yellowing

texasbanzai
10 years ago

We just planted a bottlebrush tree about a week ago, and it looks like leaves are starting to turn yellow and drop. I would say it looks like a moderate amount of the tree has been affected. The tree is planted in a very sunny spot (12+ hours/day), clay soil.

We've watered it every 2-3 days so far. Used 1.5 gallons of mixed "Amazing Roots" stimulator from Calloways. I wasn't sure if it might be overwatering? I saw through searching that this tree can be affected by chlorosis, but I assume it's not since it has hardly been a week since it came out of the container. Also, it's covered in 'Preen' mulch, perhaps that is caushing it?

More pictures of the tree here.

Thanks in advance.

PS, my USDA Zone is 8a.

Here is a link that might be useful: More Pictures

This post was edited by texasbanzai on Wed, Apr 17, 13 at 12:11

Comments (9)

• centralmnsoil
    10 years ago

Watering a bottlebrush planted in clay soil (poor drainage) ever few days sounds a bit much to me. As your Lowe's tag indicates, "Arid Dry" watering regime is probably best for bottlebrush, which is why they are so drought tolerant. That's only one opinion.

• phoenix7801
    10 years ago

I dislike preen since its loaded with chemicals. I believe the active ingredient prevents root formation which could have something to do with your yellow bottlebrush. Also be very careful with the watering. Water deep when the ground is dry as opposed to a little every other day

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

That's a pretty big tree and I suspect that loosing leaves is part of the process. See how wet it is under your tree before watering any more. Did you dig a big hole?

Where did the tree come from? If it was outside it was used to it. But if it came from indoors like a Costco or something, this may be shock from moving out. Anyway, ease up on the watering and keep an eye out for new growth. I did not know they were hardy in DFW so I am excited. What variety is it? c

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Mine wasn't hardy, Cynthia.................will be interesting to see if there is a variety that is.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

That's a beautiful plant. I don't know why I've never grown a bottlebrush tree.

As other's have indicated it's not unusual to see a few yellowing leaves with things that are newly planted. Oft times the little feeder roots get broken when transplanting out of the nursery pot so the top loses some of its support. It's hard to do sometimes, but I make myself prune the top of a large plant back by about a third when I plant in the ground to compensate for broken roots and change of enviroment. until the roots have time to spread you might want to stick your finger in the root ball to see when it needs water.

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

Wishing you and your tree the best! nIf I read that link right it says hardy down to 10-20 f. That should do fine in 8a.

I am intrigued by their little brushes and had my hands on "Little John" in the past few weeks. But I do remember that is not hardy here. But I do so love those "brushes."

Hmmm, it is Friday afternoon and my favorite local plant stop is supposed to receive a truck today. Might not be a Bottle Brush...but I am sure I want something....!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

If anybody wants one Costo in San Antonio has some really nice very large blooming Bottlebrush trees for $50. something. They didn't give a variety name.

• hearittTX
    10 years ago

Love your Bottlebrush tree! I noticed in your pictures that you have the mulch all the way up to the trunk. Maybe you might try clearing it out leaving a clean 12 inch diameter around the trunk. It sounds like you are doing all the right things though. I planted two Bottlebrush trees last year and they both had some yellow leaves after planting too. I wouldn't be too concerned. I watered mine every two days for about a month and then twice a week throughout the summer and I have clay soil here in the Houston area. I did amend the soil with some quality potting soil mix before planting and fertilized twice so far with MicroLife fertilizer (made in Texas!). Good luck with your new tree! I love ours, I posted a picture of one of them here.