Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jardineratx

Best nurseries to visit in San Antonio?

jardineratx
11 years ago

I will be in SA next sunday and I would love to visit a nice garden nursery. I am especially interested in native plants and nurseries with good display gardens. Any suggestions?
Molly

Comments (10)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Molly there are only 2 nurseries that I would recommend Fanick's Nursery, and Rainbow Gardens. Neither one has a display garden. Barbra

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I agree with Barbra. Rainbow Gardens has two locations. I visit the one on Bandara Rd. most often and while they don't have an extensive display garden like the Antique Rose Emporium in San Antonio did they do have quite a few things planted out in various raised beds scattered around the nursery and around the pond with a water wheel so you can get an idea of how they grow. I've been especially interested in their ornamental grass area. Also they carry quite a few native plants.

I don't go to the one on Thousand Oaks off 281 in north central San Antonio as much, but it's very nice too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainbow Gardens on Bandara Rd.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Molly! The San Antonio swap is on Saturday, we`re driving up Friday night.
    See you at Mercer!
    Tally HO!

• jardineratx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tally, I wish I could go to the SA swap, but I'll be in San Antonio for a 50th wedding anniversary celebration. When is the Mercer swap?
    Molly

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

I bought a persian shield at Fanicks for $2.99, at Rainbow gardens same size plant was $4.99, Problem is Fanicks, sell out so fast its Bob Websters favorite nursery.He talks about it all the time on his Sunday morning garden show. Bob Webster also has a nursery in San Antonio, its nice but small. Its called Shades of Green. Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

Rainbow Gardens on Thousand Oaks does not have many native plants this year. They have a few small areas for display gardens but not like you are hoping to find.

The best native plant nurseries are in Medina and Kerrville, more than an hour west of town.

• jardineratx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since we will be staying downtown SA, I'm wondering if Fanick's may be closer/easier to get to as we head west (toward Houston). I also saw a really nice concrete statuary place when we went to San Antonio a few years back, but we didn't stop and I can't remember what highway it was on. Anybody have info on concrete statuary in SA?
    Molly

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Molly if you come into SA on IH-10, Fanack's is off the WW White Rd exit off IH-10 . Holmgreen Rd will be on the left side of WW White Rd, it is on the East side of town, 1025 Holmgreen Rd,( dead end street) Phone number is 210 648 1303. Fanack's is 10 acres, owned by brothers Mark and Mike, who are usually there helping you. Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

There used to be a big concrete statuary place out on I-10 near Sequin (I think) but it's closed now.

I shop a lot at Yeya's at 1423 E. Commerce near downtown, he has some reclaimed garden statuary and other items from old homes and newer stuff from closed concrete art businesses. It's always hit or miss there but you might enjoy seeing what he has.

• jardineratx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the information! Looks like Fanick's will be my best bet for Sunday; and, if possible, I will check out Yeya's. I, too, believe that the concrete statuary I was referring to was near Seguin.