Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Do you grow any of these?

msrose
9 years ago

I've been looking at catalogs and websites and found a few plants I want to try this year. I will look around and see if I can find them locally first. If I can't, is that a bad sign they don't do well here? Are they too tropical to grow here? Does any have experience with any of these?

Damianita Daisy (Chrysactinia mexicana)

Some type of colorful Canna

Tropicanna

black canna

Pink Sunburst

Black elephant ears

Comments (15)

• carrie751
    9 years ago

I have the two cannas and the EE's, but don't know anything about the daisy.

• lucas_tx_gw
    9 years ago

I've tried damianita a number of times because i love it, but I can't keep it alive. I think you'll have to have it in some kind of non-clay area, rock garden in sand type thing.

If you make it work, let me know how please!

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

carrie - Are the cannas invasive? Are you happy with them in your garden? I also posted a picture of Canna Tropicana, but it didn't show up for some reason. Do you have it also?. I know it's taller than Sunburst and I was just wondering how tall it gets.

lucas_tx - That doesn't sound promising. I may not want to order it, but I might try it if I can find it locally.

• ruthz
    9 years ago

I have tried growing Damianita Daisy but it didn't grow well for me, however I've seen it growing good in the neighborhood.
    I grow cannas Australia and Tropicana. My Tropicana gets about 4', in part shade.
    I traded for Pink Sunburst several times and for some reason they never lived for me.
    I have grown black elephant ears, but they only last a year or two then die.
    Hope this helps.

• carrie751
    9 years ago

The cannas are not invasive...........matter of fact, the Pink Sunburst takes a very long time to send out another tuber, this is why it is so expensive.......most growers don't find it profitable. I got my start many years ago from a niece, and have had very few to share. It is a lovey canna, and I am glad to have had a chance at admiring it. The black EE's do not thrive like my green ones, and they need some sun to stay black. They don't get very big for me either

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    9 years ago

The low-teen freezes on the north side of Dallas took out our damianita this year, though it's supposed to be root hardy in the 0ð to 10ð F range. Suspect lucas_tx may be right about heavy clay being a factor. Looks like the stem was holding too much water from the damp clay and popped most of the bark loose just above ground level when it froze. It was in a sloped well draining spot, but the clay still retains a lot of moisture.

Did okay in last year's winter where the lows stayed above the mid-20s. Nice plant, so will try again in a drier spot sheltered by the roof overhang.... next time I find one, anyway. Had to get the last one in Austin as they're not widely sold in Dallas.

This post was edited by bostedo on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 23:21

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

The damianita seems to act like a small desert shrub. Couldn't grow it sw of Houston, but it thrives here in unimproved caliche.

Have one that's grown quite big in a bed that gets sun from noon on, some little ones from cuttings are looking good in full sun.

Just a guess, but I believe it requires excellent drainage, lots of sun, & not too much water. My local nurseries (nw of SA) generally have it in 4" pots or gallons. Perhaps add some oyster shell chicken grit in the area you plant it.

• linda_tx8
    9 years ago

I've got Damianitas growing wild on my place in the hills. Caliche and rock type areas, sunny, very xeriscape, fairly well-drained, I guess, because how could a hillside be oherwise? .The foliage is fragrant if crushed a bit.

• annieinaustin
    9 years ago

The only place Damianita has survived in my yard is next to the street in the parking strip - sunny, dry, water runs off fast. It's been very slow-growing but I'm glad to have it.
    As Linda said - fragrance when crushed a bit. The color is very vivid. Coldest temperature it has had was about 14F.

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input! I wanted to plant the Damianita in my raised bed where only the toughest survive. Sounds like it just may work except for some clay soil. Sometimes Marshal Grain sells unusual plants, so I'll check and see if they have it. That was the only place I could find black foot daisy and 4 nerve daisy.

ruthz - Very helpful. I was unsure about Tropicanna, because I thought it got bigger than that. Sounds like it's a good size.

carrie - Well, it sounds like I won't be finding Pink Sunburst at Lowes :)

• ruthz
    9 years ago

I just got home from Marshall's Grain in Grapevine, and didn't see any Damianita today. I have seen it there, in fact I think that's where I bought mine.
    They do have Black Foot Daisy, and I bought a four nerve daisy there a few weeks ago.
    Our neat find today was Tiki Torch Echinacea.

• phoenix7801
    9 years ago

We have damianita growing in the cacti area here at the botanical gardens. Its in a loose mix on a slope so drainage is good.

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ruthz - That's the one I go to, so thanks for letting me know.

• TexasRanger10
    9 years ago

I've got Damianita growing way, way further north. Its planted in very sandy soil on a berm that drains well. It winters fine but some I planted in back where the soil is not sandy, didn't. They seed about nicely but are pretty slow growing. Definitely desirable & worth the wait. Smell is fantastic, the form is very tight & dense, butterflies love it.

Its not tropical, looks more desert. I cannot visualize it growing with those cana's.

• msrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Guess what I bought at Lowes today...........

This was my first time out this season looking for plants. Can't believe I lucked out on the first try. Now if I can just find one with stripes!

Every thing in my yard has just started leafing out and here's 4-nerve daisy already blooming. Last year was my first year with 4-nerve and black foot. Black foot bloomed all summer, but 4-nerve didn't bloom near as much. Is that typical for 4-nerve or do you think it was just because it was a first year plant? I'm trying to decide if I want to buy more this year.