Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Thornless bougainvilleas ...

While pruning out dead parts on my bougies this morning I (once again) observed that one is completely thornless. It's a white one that turns pale pink after a few days. It may be "Miss Alice" which is listed on the internet as being thornless. "Silhouette", a lilac color, is also listed as thornless as are a few others.

Not that I'm throwing out the thorny ones, but thornless sure is a lot easier to deal with. The thorns are not so much for protection, but to have something to hang on with so they can climb. At least that's that they say about roses. Thorns certainly don't keep the deer from eating roses.

So if this appeals to you check for thorns when buying. Some that have thorns are more thorny than others.

Incidentally, last year I tried planting two bougies in raised beds. They grew like crazy, but hardly bloomed at all, so in the fall back in the 2 to 4 gallon pots they went.

Happy gardening -- scratches and all ... :-)

Comments (9)

• melvalena
    10 years ago

OH I love bougainvilleas and love your photos of the ones you have. BUT I can't stand the thorns.

Thanks for the heads up that there are some which are throneless! I had no idea they existed!

Guess what I'm going to be looking for this spring!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

This is so funny.......................just in from buying two of the ones with thorns. The one that is in the plant room is too big to move anymore, so I am going to do what you do, keep them in smaller containers. After all, it certainly has worked WELL for you, yours are always so beautiful.

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

I am certain you posted this just for me! All but 2 are coming back in a burst of color. I had no idea what the name of the one smaller plant with large distinctive lilac bracts. Now I know it is Silhouette! I'll wait a while longer but I have more to go on than what I told my local nurseryman yesterday. Thank you Roselee! This photo from last August shows Silhouette in the foreground.

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

Silhouette

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

My Silhouette still looks lifeless, but I was able to buy one right off the truck at my local nursery Friday. It does indeed appear thornless, but I know I never noticed that last year. C

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cynthia, your Silhouette bougie is a beauty. Is the bark green at all?

A couple of mine that were in the back of my overwintering house, which is only heated by a small electric heater, haven't leafed out yet. One has a few truly dead branches, the other, a dark purple, has branches that are green when scratched, but no leaves yet, but I'm confident it will be okay. It was slow last year too.

Speaking of slow to leaf!!! -- I moved a large Wooly bee brush winter before last and it stayed bare of leaves ALL last summer and through the winter! But the bark showed green when scratched. This spring it finally has leaves.

• cynthianovak
    10 years ago

Roselee
    I have not given up on the old Silhouette. I always wait until roots no longer hold before I give up.... I thought there was some pale green then I have thought not. That only means that I surround it with others to inspire any life. And when I saw one come off the truck I couldn't resist!
    BTW bully for your Wooly Bee bush I need to search to see what that is.
    c

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Crystal, wishing you the best with your first bougie. For me growing them is very gratifying.

Incidentally, Silhouette and the bi color Miss Alice (?) which also has variegated foliage, have both formed small thorns, but they are few and far between, and not a problem.