Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texascountygardner

Crows in Texas

texascountygardner
10 years ago

I live in the country, surrounded by grass land (or lack thereof, in the current drought). I battle grasshoppers yearly, and plant trap crops, and live with quite a bit of damage.

There is a crow, or a family of them, that have made a nest in the oak tree 20' away from my vegetable garden. I focus on tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and some okra, squash.

We've always had crows in the fields, but i'm not sure how i feel about them in the yard, so close to the garden (and, quite honestly, to me). While i'm not worried about anything alive they may eat- indeed, if they eat grasshoppers, i'll send engraved invitations to every crow within 10 miles- i'm worried about the garden.

The only thing i can find for sure that crows eat is "everything." Anyone with any garden experience with crows, by any chance? DO they eat grasshoppers? I've read about them eating chickens and/or chicks, but if they eat small birds too, i don't know that that bothers me. I also read about them eating baby bunnies, but not sure i mind that either- we've got PLENTY of bunnies. I don't like them cuz they're smart, and learn, but i'm willing to let bygones be bygones. Somewhere i read you can feed them, and they'll recognize you personally. I'm not against feeding them, to keep them out of the garden, but i also don't want a flock/murder/whatever-the-appropriate-term-for-a-bunch-of-them-is in the yard. From what i understand, they hang around in the family unit for a few years. And live several years. I dont' really want to encourage this.

I don't know what they eat out in the fields- they crow and fly off as soon as they see one of us. The cows may know, but they won't tell me.

thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH