Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Smallish shrubs for under crepe myrtle tree

Posted by leightx2010 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 12:23

We're thinking of ditching what's left of our grass between our sidewalk and the porch (in a small curved patch, maybe 10'x5'. I'm looking for some ideas for plants and shrubs to go under our 20' tall crepe myrtle that's planted there, in dappled shade (from both the crepe myrtle and live oaks in middle of the yard), Eastern exposure. Alkaline central TX soil. We have an Indian Hawthorne just behind the crepe myrtle that has been completely ignored for 10 years, and still does great, although it doesn't bloom much because it is almost total shade, right next to covered patio, and behind the crepe myrtle.

Some ideas for edging plants / flowers would be great too - would prefer perennials, but I wouldn't mind doing a few annuals, since this is right next to the front door.

Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of area

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Smallish shrubs for under crepe myrtle tree

I have shrimp plants planted under a row of ours, and they seem to love it there. Also, I have iris, rock rose, and cedar sage. The shrimp plants like it best.

o

That looks like a tough area to plant anything other than something really small (young) and that is shallow rooted. I have several areas around my house just like yours and it is very difficult to plant stuff around the tree roots.

What I have done is to use pots, planted with a single variety of something, and bunch them, en masse, around the tree. This can make for a very stunning effect. Caladiums are my favorite plant for doing this (for instance, a bunch of white caladiums massed around your tree would be stunning!). (I wish I had pictures....this year I'm getting the camera out)

You could use what ever plant you like.....annuals or perennials or even small shrubs. How about some of the low growing crepe myrtles?! There are some weeping varieties, that planted in pots would be attractive. Using pots expands your options and keeps you from disturbing your crepe's roots.

Lynn

o
I meant to mention also.....

that using pots allows you to change your look with the seasons: e.g. tulips in spring, caladiums in summer, and mums in fall. Or whatever plants you like!

Lynn

o

Oooh, Other Lynn, I like that idea. Consider it stolen!!!

Thanks!

Lynn Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here