Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jardineratx

Rain lilies (zephrantes)

jardineratx
16 years ago

I rec'd some bulbs of rain lilies and I have no idea what their care/culture is. Anybody out there grow them? What is your opinion? Are they worthwhile in a mixed border?

thanks

Molly

Comments (15)

• trsinc
    16 years ago

Their care and culture is pretty much zilch, at least here in zone 8 with alkaline soil. Please exuse any typos, my cat is in my lap and biting/nudging/purring mewhile I type.

Here, outside of Austin, they do really well. We have alkaline soil and not a lot of rain. Since you are in zone 9 I am suspecting you get a lot of moisture? If so, put them in a dry area and forget about them.

Maybe someone else from down there has a different approach?

• trsinc
    16 years ago

And, yes, they are worth while. In my opinion because they are natives and bloom. But, I think, they are nice tucked in between other perennials here and there, close to a walk or drive. Any further out and they are lost. IMO

• denisew
    16 years ago

I have received some through our garden club plant exchanges. I have some of the white ones and also some of the pink. They have been in the garden for a year now and I'm still waiting for them to bloom. They're in full sun too.

• prairiepaintbrush
    16 years ago

I love the way rain lillies smell! Can't imagine what you'd need to do to them. Maybe they don't like so much water, since they are native.

• jardineratx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have planted them in a small narrow area, along with my freesias. Are they spring, summer or fall bloomers or do they bloom sporadically throughout the year?

• maden_theshade
    16 years ago

I've never tried the zephrantes, but have the Cooperia and those only bloom after a rain. Only rain, not just a watering. Mine bloom all year. Most rain lilies are native to Mexico, so I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble with them in Texas. I keep mine in the H* strip, else they'd accidentally get mowed. I think tucking them amongst other plants is a great way to use them. They will bloom sporadically throughout the year, so having them mixed in makes for nice surprise displays!

Saw this 'how-to' page on them...might be helpful to you:

Here is a link that might be useful: How to plant Rain Lilies

• liz_h
    16 years ago

I had some that I bought, probably as the little 4" pots. It was a year or two before they bloomed, but they sure were nice.

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

I have tons of them..they are in morning sun afternoon shade and as the name implies..they bloom after a rain...because they like a moist area..I bought all of mine from Yuccado Nursery...mine have multiplied like crazy....Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: RAIN LILIES

• jardineratx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jeanne, I'm very familiar with Yuccado...I don't live far and have gone to their spring sales. As a matter of fact, I bought some white bletilla (ground orchid) and toadlilies from them. I didn't think to look at their website for growing info on the zephranthes. I think I have them in good locations now. Thanks.
    Molly

• new_in_texas
    16 years ago

What about from seed? I collected a bunch last year and I'm not sure what I should do with them, if anything.

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

New-in-Texas...I saved alot of my rainlily seeds as well and what I didn't trade I just scattered back into my gardens..plant those little jewels...Jeanne

• maden_theshade
    16 years ago

If these are the little papery black seeds, just throw them on the ground or in the grass and water them in. They don't need to be deep to sprout. Maybe 1/4" tops.

• cfpaisley
    16 years ago

I have heard these are poisonous to animals (dogs). I just bought some pink and white ones, but I will have to be careful and keep them in the front away from my pups. I have one dog who tries to eat everything in site and he is an aussie showdog.

thanks
    cp

• violet_kelly
    16 years ago

Has anyone seen yellow rainlillies? Because of all the rain, they are sprouting like crazy here in College Station. They are a really pretty golden yellow with some reddish orange tinges around the edges. So pretty! :)

• west_texas_peg
    16 years ago

I have Zephyranthes drummondii (white, has outdown itself this spring with all the rain!), Zephyranthes grandiflora (pink), Zephyranthes citrina (yellow), Zephyranthes candida (white), Zephyranthes Peach Rain Lily, Zephyranthes atamasco, Habranthus robustus, and some they just called 'pink rain lily' when we swapped, just received a new one that is white with a tinge of pink and Fall bloomers are Sternbergia lutea (Southern Fall Crocus) and Rhodophiala bifida (Oxblood Lily) blooms around September.

I collect the seeds and have hundreds of little Z. drummondii and dozens of little citrina plants. I use the rain lilies to edge my beds, that way I don't dig into them accidentally when they are dormant.

Love these little jewels,
    Peggy