Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wheelbarrow planting ideas

Posted by runjbells 8b/Austin (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 08 at 12:30

I have a great challenge for ya'll! Thinking it would look great in my garden, I picked up an old forlorn wheelbarrow off the side of the road today. Now I just need some ideas of what to put in it. It will be in an area that is mostly shade but will receive sun from about 5-7pm. I think it could dry out fairly quickly, so maybe something drought tolerant would be good. Other dreams would be that at least one plant is evergreen and at least one would drape over the edges.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wheelbarrow planting ideas

Mine dried almost as fast as I could water it. It is now planted with cacti and succulents.
Tally HO!

o

• Posted by carlyg z8 East TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 25, 08 at 15:08

Try something like portulaca or rose moss or a hearty ivy like iboza (variegated swedish ivy) to drape over the sides. Maybe even the wave petunias.

o

Using potting soil containing water absorbing crystals or adding some yourself will help retain moisture, but as advised try to use drought tolerant plants like those suggested above. Airplane plant and asparagus fern are also good draping plants that have roots that hold water.

Happy planting!

o

Big Lots! Get a small package of cheapo diapers and dig out the moisture absorbing crystals. Or put a layer of dollar store maxi pads under each plant. Sounds ridiculous, but it works!

o

Ditto on the wave petunias and moss roses. Purslane would look pretty too! Oh and how about rain lillies?

o

Had to laugh at the diapers/maxi pads idea. I'm going to do it! I already have asparagus fern, so I could probably use some of that. Looking into the other plants. Thanks!

o

If you can find Laura Bush petunias, that would be even better. I almost bought some from the master gardeners at their plant sale, but where I wanted to put them, they wouldn't have worked. I should have bought them anyway and found a spot for them! They were so pretty!

o

Sedum is great and there are some varieties that would drape over the sides.

o

The wheelbarrow is planted! I moved it to a location that gets more sun and blended in the innards of 3 diapers. The "back" has Autumn Joy Sedum and the front has some draping sedum. In the middle is Purslane. I was a little afraid to plant it after reading the thread from last year "what have you planted that you regret?" But the flowers are beautiful, and I'm hoping it will stay contained in the wheelbarrow. Thanks for all the suggestions!

o

Runjbells, post pics--we would all love to see how it turned out. I have never had a problem with purslane. So hopefully it will behave for you.

Sam

o

Oooh, stick a million bells, aka Calibrachoa, in there! You have room, I know you do. :) It comes in any color you'd want, except blue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Calibrachoa

o

definitely a million bells - you'll love it!

o

Well with that much enthusiasm how can I not!? Next time I see one, in it goes.

o

Photos are requested!

o

Okay - kind of embarrasing as it all looks so tiny, but I'm counting on it growing!

[IMG]http://www.dotphoto.com/SAN1/72/E8/25/i72E82567-C9B6-4C54-A235-E46117308C95.jpg[/IMG]

o
Oops

Oops. Still learning how to do this. You'll have to copy and paste everything between (IMG) and (IMG).

o

That's going to be so cute! Good work!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here