Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_texas_herb_lady

the 'b' cabbage

Has anyone heard what we need to do to get rid of it. Its taken over our wild flowers and i have seen it as far north as Gainsville along 51.

Comments (4)

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

I've heard it helps to either mow it or manually remove it before it develops seeds. But have no personal experience with doing that, as it's not on my place (thank the Lord!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Annual B-Cabbage

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

It's everywhere around here. I saw a news story on it that said it will shade bluebonnet and wipe them out from the highways and medians if something isn't done. I haven't got any at my house, but it's only a matter of time.

• tx_ag_95
    12 years ago

I read the same thing Marti...and then realized that the patch of "dandelion-but-not" plants in the front yard was probably B-Cabbage...and when I went to look, they'd started sending up the branching parts where before they'd just been the rosettes. I tore the leaves off a couple weeks ago, but they're back like I didn't touch them...and they're spreading. Guess I'm taking a shovel out there this weekend and digging the entire area up as I couldn't pull them out of the ground the last time. I just tore the leaves off. And obviously, that doesn't phase them. Of course, all branching parts got torn off tonight. I'm NOT giving them a chance to reseed!

• tx_ag_95
    12 years ago

From what all I read, it doesn't respond to herbicides. From what I've experienced, you can rip off all of their leaves and they'll come back. I finally had the time to take the shovel to them tonight. IF you can get down far enough to get your entire hand around the taproot, and the ground is soft, they can be pulled out easily. HOWEVER, the stems break off easily from the roots. I had the best success by using a "trenching" shovel to dig up sections of the ground and then knocking off as much of the soil as I could. It was time-consuming and I'll probably feel all of the stooping and digging and separating in the morning. But, I think I got all but two plants...that I'll keep an eye out for in the next few weeks.

I've let all of my Facebook friends know about this @#$#^%# plant, and I don't normally post things for EVERYONE to see. And then explained to one woman that said "but it's kinda pretty" just what it does. Thankfully, she's changed her mind. Maybe if we all spread the word, someone will find a way to obliterate this #$%^&* plant? I wish there was a less time-intensive method of removing this stupid plant. But, the leaves break off easily and the root easily replaces them. The only thing that comes to my mind is to put down a heavy-duty pre-emergent in late summer/early fall and late fall/early winter and deal with a year without wildflowers. Then, reseed everything and pray that the damn plants don't come back.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting