Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeds in my Horseherb Groundcover

Posted by markjm223 none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 12:45

Hi

I am very new at gardening and making my yard look nice. I neglected to remove some weeds in my horseherb groundcover last season and now I am overrun.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get rid of them without hand pulling?

Would mowing it do anything? I heard that if you keep your lawn mowed weeds have a harder time getting established, maybe the same would work for horseherb?

Thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeds in my Horseherb Groundcover

A lot of the weeds appear to be grasses. There is a grass only spray that will not kill broad leaved plants: Grass-B-Gone made by Ortho. The others you'll just have to pull -- preferably before they go to seed. Then maybe the the horseherb will be so thick they will shade out any remaining seeds, but no matter what the groundcover there will always be some weed pulling to do, even in a thick lawn.

Wishing you the best!

o

Thanks for the tip. Grass B Gone seems to be just what I was looking for.

o

Is that a flat seed pod I see in the lower right quadrant? Does it perhaps contain 7 or 8 flat, husked seeds? If so, it's probably a form of poa annua, or meadowgrass, which is usually an annual. Those who are learned in such matters say that the most effective control is to put down a pre-emergent in late summer, to prevent the next crop of seeds from sprouting. As for herbicide application, I wonder if mowing everything short wouldn't make it easier to target the base of the individual weeds. Might want to pull off the seed pods beforehand, to avoid scattering.

o

Funny thing, Horseherb IS the weed in my groundcover, but with a shoe polish bottle with a little sponge on top, full of Round-up, I've about got it all killed out.
Jim

o

The shoe polish bottle is great idea. I'm really glad I found this forum.

My Horseherb turns from friend to foe as soon as it crosses the edging. I have a feeling I'll be dabbing runaways real soon with an old shoe polish bottle

o

Horseherb doesn't crowd out other weeds that I've ever noticed! Of course, it's a weed itself, as far as I'm concerned. I was pulling some out of my garden today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here