Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help Identifying a Shrub

Posted by cairnqueen (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 13:06

I'm trying to identify this blooming shrub. I have my guesses, but I'm not sure I have it right. These are blooming at the intersection of Hebron and Josey Lane in Carrollton. I've seen them blooming in the fall but I don't think I've ever seen them in bloom now. These pictures were taken last night. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sorry...I couldn't figure out how to insert the pictures in my post. Providing a link to the album.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Shrub

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help Identifying a Shrub

I think it's a flowering senna. There are several varieties. And you're right. They usually bloom in the fall, but my Senna Corymbosa got mixed up as a lot of plants did from last years drought and is blooming now.

o

Roselee - Thanks! Senna is my guess too. Any thoughts on which Senna it might be? I've looked at tons of pictures but can't decide. The leaves were glossy and bright green (no gray tones and not velvety). They were also more pointed than rounded.

o

A lot of Sennas are tender. After loosing a mature 12 year old no ID Senna to the 2009 winter, which wasn't even as cold as it was in 2010, I bought Senna Corymbosa on Carrie's recommendation since she said it was hardy in her Dallas area garden. So cold hardiness might give you a clue on which one it might be. Maybe when Carrie sees this she can help with an ID.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here