Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

Lowe's Discount Rack Alert

melvalena
12 years ago

The Lowe's discount rack at 2499/407 has tons of good looking plants. I picked up some geraniums for .50 each. There were lots of other nice looking things that someone might be interested in. Lots of them are perennials.

These are not dead plants. :)

What's on the discount rack at your Lowe's?

Comments (13)

• carrie751
    12 years ago

And I ALMOST went by there............drat........now I have to go back..........

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL!!!!

The geraniums were right in the front as you enter.. the rest of the plants were back where they put the dead racks.

I keep going back to see if they have more of those beautiful double impatience you got several weeks ago.. I keep kicking myself for not going back when you told me to!

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I did go back, and picked up more geraniums as well as a
    few other things........why do I do this????

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

The Lowes here is also discounting geraniums and pentunias - not because they look bad, but because they will be dead in about a month. Can you grow either of those beyond May in Texas? They will barely stay alive here in Florida once the high heat and humidity kick in.

Carol

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Petunias last us nearly year 'round here. Bring them in only when freeze threatens. They take our full sun.

Geraniums same thing bring in for the winter. But during the summer they need to be in the shade or morning only sun.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I lost my geraniums that I had for at least five years to the intense heat of last summer, but they usually hold up well. I overwinter them in the greenhouse and they bloom all winter for me.

• srilunewgardener
    12 years ago

Got 1 gal grape, blue berry, fig and pom for $3 and fruit trees 50% off.

• scotty66
    12 years ago

for some reason, I have always preferred Lowe's major competitor... so I never knew about this discount rack, I'm going to have to check it out. Thanks.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Scotty
    I've always referred to it as the 'dead rack'. Because that is what most people see on that rack: dead plants for maybe .25 each. But to those who know what they're doing its practically free plants or perennials at 1/2 price :)

They are usually way past their prime and looking pitiful.

I think the best time to check them out is Monday afternoon - Thursday. They are getting the big racks cleared for new plants and pulling anything that doesn't look perfect for the weekend rush. Its pretty picked over by Thursday though.
    The "other guys" don't mark stuff down like that.

• ilovemyroses
    12 years ago

i found some hanging basket dragon wing begonias, two gallon size...beautiful, for $5, from $20. bought two, the inwood road/635 location.

• cynthianovak
    12 years ago

I need to swing by tomorrow. I was at the Lowes at Eastchase and Hwy 30 yesterday. The manager was directing a worker to move a group of plants to another area. I'll bet it was the sale rack. I call it The Pitiful Plant Pile.

BTW, I got one but they had 2 or 3 remaining Firecracker ferns in 1 gallon containers. I got one a few weeks ago and love it. I don't know if they were going on sale but if you are a fan there are some there.

Re petunias: I usually don't buy them but the wave type has done well for me in the past. I was told by a landscaper to run them over with a lawnmower on the 4th of July and they'll last until a good freeze.
    c

• txmom
    11 years ago

Got TONS of perrenials at Eastchase/I30 last year. Unfortunately, they didn't tolerate the heat last summer. Will be shopping for more this year and hoping not to have a repeat.

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

The Lowes at Eastchase and 30 N of Arlington, East edge of FW

Tons of clearance plants today. Some are very close to the edge of too far gone, but I got a small flat of 12 pentas in the violet color I love for $6.50. I saw several more. They are in great shape. No yellow tag on them yet, but they were on the rack and discounted at the register so they are in the system

Also they have 4inch annuals....lots of them! for 77 cents. I left with 12 polka dot plants in both pink and white. This must be a big sale item because they have lots of different plants that are in great shape.