Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar Maples in Central Texas??

Posted by xtal z8b Temple. TX (cifisher@vvm.com) on
Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 13:18

Can anyone tell me if Sugar Maples grow well in Central Texas. Just because the zone says they will doesn't mean that they handle our alkaline soil, heat, and drought. I also realize that they might have a chilling requirement of so many hours which might exceed our typical winter.

I'm hoping that someone can enlighten me.
Xtal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar Maples in Central Texas??

Metro Maples in Ft. Worth is the expert on growing maples in Texas and I didn't see sugar maples on their list.

Check out their website for maples that do grow in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Metro Maples

o

Thanks for this info. After I posted, I found a map showing the native range of Sugar Maples.

Xtal

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar Maples native range

o

You'd have to be more specific of which sugar maple can be grown.

Here is a list -

Caddo Sugar maple from Oklahoma. - http://www.soonerplantfarm.com/plant/maple-sugar-caddo/
Mexican Sugar Maple - http://sfagardens.sfasu.edu/images/stories/PDF/acer skutchii -web.pdf
Texas native sugar Maple - Bigtooth Maple - http://www.lovecreeknursery.com/Maple Colors.html

Sugar Maple from the east will not do well in central Texas.

o

(Don't forget southern sugar maple (Acer floridanum) which grows all over east Texas and chalk maple (Acer leucoderme) which looks essentially the same and is also native to east Texas)

The southwestern variety of bigtooth maple (Acer gradidentatum var sinuosum) is native to central Texas and naturally grows in limestone canyons. It looks a lot like sugar maple and is probably your best bet.

o

The sugar maples that will grow here aren't the same ones that grow up north. The ones up north won't produce the sweet sap here because of the heat.

o

Thanks for all your responses. Instinctively, I knew this... but just has to confirm it.

I knew my Gardenweb buds could answer my question.
Xtal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here