Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native vine ID Please

Posted by rock_oak_deer 8a TX (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 13:20

I found this vine with green flowers growing near the trees behind our house. The flower petals are very lacy. Any ideas on what it could be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native vine ID Please

Green milkweed vine?

Here is a link that might be useful: Matelea reticulata at wildflower.org

o

what a treasure! I love finding natives growing in the garden!

o

Yes, a treasure! I think Plantmaven Kathy had it growing at her place near Bulverde.

Shirley, may I be first in line for some seeds?

o

Rose beat me to it but this lady doesn't look twice at seconds.... she just grabs. In otherwords, I want some, she says. I have been looking for that one in seed for awhile.

o

Wow, I knew it was special right away. I will keep an eye out for seeds. Would cuttings work?

o

It has to grow from seeds apparently so we'll wait. I'll probably have them by October swap time.

o

God knows. I have never played around with milkweed vines.

o

Yes, I did have it. I dug it from the vacant woods next to my house. AKA: pearl vine.

o

The NPIN doesn't mention Bexar county but it does seem to be here!

o

There is a lot that the NPIN misses. Do you ever notice that one county in Northeast Texas that has all these desert and west Texas and South Texas plants. It is always the same county and nothing all around it. It always cracks me up.

o

Probably the person who did the input lived there.

o

I guess he is counting his garden as a wild population. Not very scientific.....or hallucinating.

o

I wonder how often it gets updated?

o

Is NPIN the llink above? NPIN stands for Native Plant what?

o

I wonder who can update and what credentials one has to have.

o

Native Plant Information Network, it's the part of the name of the Native Plant Database that shows up in the header.

o

Okay, thanks Shirley.

o

I am confused by initials and acronyms. I was thinking it was this one. but I can't find NPIN identifying it. one can click on the USASymbol and get to the range map and then click on the state of Texas to get the county breakdown.. There is a link to it at the bottom of the page also.

Here is a link that might be useful: range map for milkweed.

This post was edited by wantonamara on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 17:07

o

This map does show Bexar county which is helpful.

o

Yes, it's Matelea reticulata. I've got those! Didn't even know people wanted it. One year, when we had lots of rain for quite a while (deja vu!), the vines really took off and some grew up very high in the trees. When the seed pods finally started opening, tons of the seeds and milkweed pod silky stuff came floating down all over the place...it was quite surreal, I swear! I'd be walking around and they were all just drifting around in the breeze! But normally they don't grow that much.

o

I went back there today and found hundreds of seedlings. I dug up a few so if they grow I can share those. We must have had rain at the right time because I don't remember seeing them before.

o

I guess last summer they drifted in from somewhere in your neighborhood . It was very wet last winter and spring was amazing for all things.My nodding onions are very shy this year and last they were everywhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here